Pump lost prime ran for over a day Need Opinions, PLease

Old 08-25-05, 08:38 AM
santuitman
Visiting Guest
Pump lost prime ran for over a day Need Opinions, PLease

Hello All
Newbie here. We got town water at our home about two months ago. We finally had a plumber hook our well (which we hadn't used since the town water got hooked up) to an outside silcock so we could use it for watering. Monday evening I set up a sprinkler. It ran for a bit then stopped. I didn't think much of it and just turned the silcock off. Tuseday morning I tried again. Had water for ~1 minute. Again I just turned off the silcock. Yesterday (Wednesdy) I realized that the pump may have lost prime. It used to be you could here the pump running even though it is in a pit in the yard so I didn't think it was but sure enough when I got home from work to check it, the pump was running. I'm guessing it may have been running since Monday evening or Tuesday morning till I shut it off last night (Wednesday)
My questions are... Is the pump still ok? Possilby running dry for so long? How do you prime one? It is a vertical pump sitting right on the well pipe. I think it is a vertical deep jet pump. There is also an expansion tank in the pit. You can shut off the water both before and after the expansion tank. There is also a silcock opposite the expansion tank. I tried to prime from the silcock in the pit but had no luck. After doing so reading it sounds like I'll need to pull the pipe plug out of the body of the pump and fill it there till it's completely full. I'm thinking of having a well company come and check it out but was hoping to get some opinions first. Needless to say of the pump is probably toast I might just give up altogether.

Thanks in advance
Brian Kelley

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-05, 08:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Brian,

The pump may be toast and maybe not. If it's real old, it may have brass impellers which won't melt like plastic.

When you take the pressure off a pump by killing the power on an old system, the lack of pressure pushing on the footvalve will let it leak back. Priming is just like you stated above, through the plug on top of the backpressure control. You may want to bring a hose from the townwater to make it easier, it may take a lot of water. If you can find a 1/4" plug anywhere on the side of the pump, pull it out to let the air out, this makes it go much faster. When the air quits and you get water, plug that hole while still keeping the pump full, put prime plug in quickly a few turns and hit the power.

Tell me what happens next.

bob...

Old 09-01-05, 01:26 PM
santuitman
Visiting Guest
Just an FYI...
I had a well guy come out and try the pump as I didn't have time and knowledge. He couldn't get it going either and suggested pulling the pump and rebuilding it or buying new. He also said if anything fell down the well from the pump then they would have to pul it also. I guess I'm giving up, at $1000 minimum it's not worth it.

Thanks for the help though. Maybe someday I'll see if I can get it rebuilt cheaper.

Brian