water well questions

Old 09-12-05, 06:41 PM
scrooge
Visiting Guest
water well questions

On a piece of property to put a home,, how does someone know if there is water in the area to get a water well installed??? How does a water well installer person know where to drill for water???

Old 09-13-05, 09:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter where he drills, there will be water there.

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but don't buy into the Dowsing theory. It's all smoke and mirrors.

bob...

Old 09-13-05, 06:40 PM
scrooge
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by speedbump
It doesn't matter where he drills, there will be water there.

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but don't buy into the Dowsing theory. It's all smoke and mirrors.

bob...
What is DOWSING THEORY ?????

Old 09-14-05, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
It's when a "dowser" walks around your property holding one of several common devices in his hands that allegedly "point" to where the water is. I've seen it demonstrated with two pieces of coat hangar bent at a 90 deg angle. You hold them so the free ends point out away from you (like holding pistols in your hands). Then you walk around and when you "find" the water, the free ends swing in towards each other. The classic method, I think, is with a forked branch.

As 'bump says, a difference of 50 feet one direction or another won't make any difference. Now if you're talking about 50 ACRES, that might be another matter. Unless you want to pay for some expensive geological analysis, I think water well drilling is largely by chance, although I'm sure any drilling company would be able to tell you right away if they would expect to have problems or not.

Old 09-14-05, 06:49 AM
scrooge
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
It's when a "dowser" walks around your property holding one of several common devices in his hands that allegedly "point" to where the water is. I've seen it demonstrated with two pieces of coat hangar bent at a 90 deg angle. You hold them so the free ends point out away from you (like holding pistols in your hands). Then you walk around and when you "find" the water, the free ends swing in towards each other. The classic method, I think, is with a forked branch.

As 'bump says, a difference of 50 feet one direction or another won't make any difference. Now if you're talking about 50 ACRES, that might be another matter. Unless you want to pay for some expensive geological analysis, I think water well drilling is largely by chance, although I'm sure any drilling company would be able to tell you right away if they would expect to have problems or not.
Ok thanks....I thought maybe that's what dowsing was but i have heard it called whichet around here....The land is about 5 acre area i am wanting to put a home that is part of 238 acres of property.....

Old 09-14-05, 06:53 AM
Like the tow guy said, the driller will be able to give the best advice.

bob...

Old 09-14-05, 07:45 AM
scrooge
Visiting Guest
OK...Thanks for the help........

Old 09-14-05, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Don't know what part of the Sunshine State 'bump is in, but around here you dig down 20 feet or so anywhere in the county and you'll have water.

Water witching I think is the term you might be referring to.

Old 09-15-05, 06:59 AM
I'm in Riverview east of Tampa and that's a pretty true statement around here also. The trick is how fast the water flows through all that fine crushed shell. Since we really don't have sand here it can be pretty fine and the water doesn't always move fast enough to really make a well. Then there are the other areas where the water moves so fast it's almost unbelievable. I have a 20 foot deep 5" well with 9' of casing the rest is open hole (no rock) just an open hole and you can't pump it dry with a 10 hp centrifugal. (400gpm) I still don't believe it but it works. I did another one up by the house 300 feet away, 9 gpm is all it will do. This sand is so tightly packed that it's hard than a lot of rock I've drilled through.

I watched trackhoes digging big ponds behind my property to sell the dirt and make "lakes" they call them here. When they get into this hard black shell, they can't dig it, they have to scratch it with the bucket teeth.

bob...

Old 09-25-05, 09:34 AM
dave_2222
Visiting Guest
little water in 150 year old water

I have a hand dug 150 year old fieldstone well. At the top the well is about 5 feet diameter and tapers down to around 4 at the bottom which is about 20 feet from surface.

My problem is that I only get 3 to 5 feet of water in bottom of well, but I am fairly certain that water table is much higher since (until I fixed my basement which is only 20 to 30 feet away from well) my basement had leaking problems and it is only 7 feet below surface.

I'm wondering whether over time the well can seal itself.

I'm considering taking 2 or 3 pipes of around 4 foot length, drilling holes in them, filling them with stone and driving them into the base of the well---trying to create feeders into the well.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation. I don't imagine that there are many 100 plus year hand dug wells still in use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 09-25-05, 09:51 AM
There are still quite a few of those hand dug wells around. I get questions about them all the time.

The water you see standing is the actual static water level and the leaks in your basement probably only happens when it rains.

With practically any well, you drill/dig into the aquifer which is where the water can flow freely. Once you punch into the vein, the water in that vein will seek it's level which in most cases is higher than the top of the vein where you punched into it. Somewhere that vein of sand, rock or whatever is higher than at your particular location and because of that higher spot, your level is going to be the same as that highest spot.

Kind of like the straw between two glasses. You move one glass higher and the two water levels in the two glasses will be the same just as quick as the water can move through the straw.

bob...

Old 09-25-05, 10:38 AM
dave_2222
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response.

Is there nothing then that I can do to improve the situation?

Old 09-25-05, 11:12 AM
Short of doing a rain dance, I can't think of anything. Have you tried to pump it to see if it will draw down or keep up with demand?

Old 09-25-05, 12:05 PM
dave_2222
Visiting Guest
I've installed a Pumpchamber. It allows a submerged pump to draw from about 3 inches of water. The float valve turns power off. It takes almost 24 hours for the well to refresh itself to the extent that the float valve turns pump back on.

I have an inground sprinkler system and have set up so that well water is used if available and if not system automatically switches over to city water. The control unit can create a delay between circuits to allow well to refresh itself, but the delay is not useful due to the slowness of the well to recharge.

Would driving pipes down 3 feet as I mentioned earlier be of any assistance, or just a waste of time

Old 09-25-05, 02:01 PM
I would say a waste of time Dave.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: