installing a sump pump

Old 10-10-05, 08:26 AM
malcolmd
Visiting Guest
installing a sump pump

My basement gets water once every couple of years when we get several inches of rain. The water rises up through the slab. I usually open the clean out which doubles as a floor drain. I am thinking about installing a pump but it would be difficult to dig the perimeter for french drains to direct water to the pump well. Would it be worthwhile to install a pump well, 20 - 30 gallon size with a submersible pump without any french drain. I am assuming if it's 2 - 3 feet below the slab the water will seek this spot first and keep me dry. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Old 10-13-05, 10:11 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malcolmd
My basement gets water once every couple of years when we get several inches of rain. The water rises up through the slab. I usually open the clean out which doubles as a floor drain. I am thinking about installing a pump but it would be difficult to dig the perimeter for french drains to direct water to the pump well. Would it be worthwhile to install a pump well, 20 - 30 gallon size with a submersible pump without any french drain. I am assuming if it's 2 - 3 feet below the slab the water will seek this spot first and keep me dry. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

It's not unusual to install a "retro" sump pit.....messy but not unusual. The one's I've seen do not necessarily have a french drain or perimeter drain tile pipe feeding the pit, but rather a plastic sump pit liner with perforated holes drilled in to allow the water to seep in the pit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: