pump acting strange

Old 11-07-05, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool pump acting strange

In the last 3 weeks my water pump has lost its prime twice.... well it showed about 10 lbs of pressure on the gauge, running but was not pumping any water..My well is 120' deep, with a aermotor 1 hp pump..Never had any problems til about 3 weeks ago, got up that morning and guess what ,no water..I went out to the pump house and the pump was running, but you could tell by the sound that it wasn't pumping...Anyway both times i unscrewed the gauge and reprimed the pump and everything went back to work ...pumping plenty of water.. Well what could be causing this problem, maybe something going bad with the pump or what, each time i primed it up put the guage back in and it built up pressure quickly...It has a 6 gal. wellmate tank in the system... Thanks to anyone that can help..Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 07:41 AM
If the pump works well when you reprime it, then it isn't a pump problem.
I would guess that something is keeping the footvalve from re-seating properly, causing the pump to lose prime. Something may be getting caught in it, or is wearing out and hanging up.
Ron

Old 11-08-05, 08:14 AM
thanks Pumpman for taking the time to help me...I'm wondering if I can pull the pipe up my self with out having to call anyone, not that i'm a tight wad. I just enjoy doing things for my self if it is in my capacity...I am a retired general contractor so i have been around the residential part of const about 35 years...The well is 2'' casing with a 1'' pipe inside ( all pipe is pvc) and down to around 125'....I think i remember pulling one up many years ago, although i don't think it was quite as deep.. I have a bobcat skid loader sitting out back behind the shop wit a truss boom on it that will reach up to about 30'...Could i hook some type of clamp or chain around the pipe and pull it out as far as i can then cut the pipe and pull up again til all is out so i can check the foot valve..I did notice the last time i tried to prime it that as i was putting water in the guage hole when it was full i had to hurry and get the gauge back in because the water was going out. But if i hurried and got the pump pluged back in it pumped right up... The strange thing is that if the water was backing back back down thru foot valve that the pump would be coming on every few minutes, but its not..Its just that it has lost its prime 2 times in 3 weeks...I mean could the foot valve just sometimes let all the water out, and then work fine after priming for 2 or 3 weeks or longer before doing it again.....Thanks Pumpman.....Oren

Old 11-10-05, 06:18 AM
You should be able to pull it yourself, since it's all PVC.
It might be that the footvalve holds better when there is pressure on it, like when the pump has pressure up, but leaks when there is no system pressure. This would account for water draining through it when you're priming it.
Footvalves have a small shaft on the poppit that slides through a guide that keeps the poppit aligned with the seat. I've seen where that shaft gets wear on it and will hang up on the guide. Doesn't happen every time, but is intermittent.
Ron