welded malleable elbow on pressure tank?

Old 12-08-05, 06:29 AM
ComfortFarm
Visiting Guest
welded malleable elbow on pressure tank?

I'm sizing up a replacement pressure tank if it turns out that my 11-year old 44 gal. Well-X-trol bladder tank is bad.

My local well/pump company recommends a Challenger tank made by Flexcon.

The Challenger literature states that the water entry at the bottom of the tank is a "welded malleable elbow".

Does this mean that the connection can be bent slightly to help line up my pipe with the existing plumbing? (The Challenger and the Well-X-trol are nominally the same size, but I suppose that there could be small differences in in pipe angles.)

Old 12-08-05, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No expert here but, I have used mallable fittings and do not believe I have seen one welded. If it is welded, it will not move at all. I could understand a welded nipple or coupling in the bottom of the tank but a welded elbow would limit how the piping is connected. I would call and find out exactly how this is orientated. Good luck.

Old 12-10-05, 06:18 AM
ComfortFarm
Visiting Guest
malleable

From talking to a plumber I find that "malleable" is a general term applied to galvanized pipe [fittings] that aren't brittle, which is what one would generally find at the hardware store.

I went ahead and bought the Challenger pressure tank by Flexcon and it appears to be a quality product.

My only beef with it was that it was 3/4" taller than a standard 36" tall tank, which required redoing the plumbing for my top-mounted jetpump.

I guess most folks using this tank as a replacement don't have a top-mount pump, but it seems silly to me to make your tank bigger by that small amount.

Old 12-10-05, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glad it worked for you. My thinking on Mallable is that they are a cast fitting. You can see the casting mark on the fitting on the inside and outside of the long radius. These fittings can be black or galvanized (which is melely an applied coating of zinc etc) but cannot be welded due to the casting process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: