Leak or Pressure Problem?

Old 12-18-05, 10:18 AM
JackorJill
Visiting Guest
Leak or Pressure Problem?

I have a continuously on/off cycling of the well pump.

System: Well services just my home. 125' well drilled about 28 years ago, submersible pump, replaced 4 years ago. Well-Trol pressure tank in the house replaced original tank about 10 yrs ago. Also about 10 years ago, paid contractor to tap into well line and install 4 "frost proof" hydrants for stock watering. He installed with a valve so I can cut off the water supply to the hydrants without affecting the house supply.

Problem: In last week, when not using any water, pump started cycling on off about every 60 seconds. Cuts on when pressure drops to 30, cuts off at 50. As soon as pump cuts off at 50, pressure starts to be lost. When using water, pump cycles on/off every 2 seconds, until I turn off a faucet, at same pressures (30/50). I assume the same thing is happening when I am using the outdoor hydrants. Tapping the pressure tank, it sounds hollow top 3/5 and water in bottom 2/5. Two of the frost free hydrants are freezing up in freezing temps (can't move handles). One developed a very slow drip "leak" from the spout this summer (which I guess I shouldn't have ignored). The other surprised me and just froze up. (No, hoses aren't attached.) I've got livestock and can't afford to lose my water supply to the hydrants.

Worried about burning out my "new" pump. Hoping this is something I can fix with the pressure tank. If it's a leak associated with one of the hydrants, I will probably have to hire someone to fix, unless you can give me a clue how to check for leaks/basics of repairing a hydrant. I'm game to try, mechanism of hydrant looks sorta straight forward, but I've never tried to mess with a hydrant, although I'm pretty good on house plumbing. Don't mind just replacing the hydrant heads if that would solve things.

Grateful for any advice.

Jill

Old 12-18-05, 04:52 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You have the symptoms of two problems.
Rapid cycling while the pump is running is a symptom of a water logged pressure tank. Might not be the problem in this case.
Pump cycling when no water is being used is symptom of a leak in the supply line. You could have a broken line between the pump and the pressure tank. You could have a leaking check valve allowing the tank to drain back into the well as soon as the pump shuts off. If you have a valve on the supply line to the pressure tank turn it off as soon as the pump stops. See if the tank holds pressure. If it holds, test the pressure tank by running some water with the valve still off. Turn the pump off for this test. You don't want it starting with the valve off. See how long it takes for the pressure to drop to cut on(30). If it is instant then you have a water logged tank.

Old 12-19-05, 05:37 AM
JackorJill
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will check these possibilities out.

Jill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: