vibration in piping

Old 12-19-05, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vibration in piping

Thanks to anyone for your thoughts....My water pump is about 80' behind my home...It is a 1 hp aermotor deep well jet pump (120'depth ),and has a 2'' well pipe with a 1'' pipe inside that, all pipe is pvc. When i am in bed at night and everything has sort of got quite, each time the pump comes on i can hear it almost like i'm outside....I can go in my storage room under the carport where i have a water softner and fill the vibration on the tank and water lines.......Could sometime please tell me what might be causing this and what i can do as it is disturbing to hear that noise at 2:00 am when the softner comes on.. The pump is about 10 yrs old if that makes any difference...thanks again, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 04:36 AM
Oren,
I moved your post here as we have members who specialize in wells and pumps but do not answer many questions in Plumbing. Hope this will get you the answer you need. Good luck.

Old 12-19-05, 07:21 AM
I'm guessing that the vibration you hear is happening when the softener is regenerating? Does the vibration occur under normal water use?
Softeners can use alot of water when regenerating, and the timer head controls the piston that changes which way water flows through the softener. The piston moves quickly, which leaves the effect of opening and closing a valve very quickly. The resulting change of flow direction makes the pipes move and vibrate.
Some timers are adjustable as far as regeneration time. Maybe you could reset it to regen when no one is home.
Ron

Old 12-19-05, 01:10 PM
vibration in pipes

Not just when the softner is on.. Does it every time the pump comes on..If you go out to the pump and put your hand on the plastic regulator it sort of feel like that is where it is coming from.....there is an adjustment bolt on it, but i don't know if i should bother it without some advice....thanks

Old 12-19-05, 03:25 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
I haven't heard of a regulator on a regulator on a well system but I suppose you could have one.
That could be your pressure switch. If it is chattering then you have a problem with your pressure tank. It is waterlogged. Your switch will not very long chattering like that.