Frozen well line to house

Old 12-24-05, 06:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen well line to house

The line from the well to the house is about 40', we've had to replace the line due to a break and want to know what is the best way to insulate it to keep it from freezing. We are on bedrock, so there is very little soil to bury it. The line has frozen a few times before, we want to get this done right so we can have water through out the winter.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Michelle

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 08:15 PM
I reccommend covering the pipe with clean sand to create a level bed that will drain away water, and then cover that with 2 inches of rigid EPS insulation (also known as "blue board" or "pink board" depending on who makes it). I would take 8 ft. sheets and cut them in half, laying them across the pipe so that the insulation extends 2 ft. either side of the pipe. 40 Ft. is 10 sheets, which is roughly $150. I would also slip the pipe and the well cable, inside of 4" S&D pipe (sked 10). That will protect the pipe and cable from damage.

Old 12-25-05, 08:49 AM
M
Wow, that was a fast response!

The issue I am having is trying to convince my husband that your recommended method is best. My father and I suggested this exact way and my husband still believes that building an insulated box around the line is the way to go.
We had it done this way before and it is very time consuming.

I'll show him your recommendation.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Michelle

Old 12-26-05, 02:20 PM
R
How cold does it get? If you get sub zero weather you may consider letting a faucet run slowly in very cold weather.

the dow board method sounds simplest to me.

Old 12-26-05, 06:39 PM
B
i would go with your insulated box around it..and then over top a peice of insulboard 16 wide (or as wide as the trench )..and either be prepared to leave the water drip a little in cold weather or maybe put a heat cable inside the insulated box

Old 12-28-05, 07:56 AM
If you build a box around a pipe, with insulation around the pipe, there are a few problems with that design. What are you going to use to insulate around the pipe? If you use fiberglass and it gets wet, it is useless.
If you are away for a week and the outside temp. goes to, let's say 10F, what will keep the pipe from freezing? Without a source of heat, the temperatue in the pipe will drop as heat flows to the outside of the box. Insulation will only slow down the rate of heat transfer, not stop it. In normal use, you are drawing water from the ground at around 45 or 50F. Covering only the top of the pipe allows the heat of the earth to keep the pipe from freezing. You need enough insulation (2") to keep the rate of heat loss low, and the insulation needs to cover a large enough area.

Old 12-28-05, 08:38 AM
J
Received 266 Votes on 230 Posts
I would go with fixitron's idea. If you build a box you are now allowing a space for cold air to get at the pipe. I think it would freeze faster.
The only other alterantive is a heating cable. They make them that go inside the pipe.