Sump Pump problems

Old 01-05-06, 06:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump problems

Just bought a new house recently and don't know the first thing about sump pumps. I've done a little research online and have come across some information, but the problem persists. Here is the situation and what I've done so far...

I have a Little Giant 506158 Submersible Sump Pump Model 6-CIA

The sump pump seems to work normally initially, being that it sucks up the water and takes it past the 2-way valve. The problem is that after you hear that "sucking completion" noise, it continues to run for a bit (sometimes over a minute) and is very loud. I took a peak into the hole and it seems to be vibrating and trying to suck up water that just isn't there. I'm guessing it may be the flotation device, but I'm not sure where that is.

What I've done so far is unscrew the 2-way valve and make sure that was okay. I'm guessing that it is because after I unscrewed it all this water came pouring out. I then made sure the filter/screen was clean (it was). Put everything back together and waited. The first time it kicked in, it worked flawlessly. The next time, it went back to the vibrating mess that it has become.

If anyone has any suggestions, please send them along.

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-05-06, 08:29 AM
ShankButta, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Your pump has a diaphram switch which has an on/off level that can be set. It should leave one inch of water in the sump when set at the lowest level. Pump running with no water in the sump will ruin the pump. Check with the builder about the paperwork that came with the pump for instructions on how to set the switch. I have included a link that shows where the switch is. Good luck.

http://www.pumps-in-stock.com/sump_p...tallation.html

Old 01-05-06, 10:26 AM
S
Thank your for the reply.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out, because I would hate to have my sump pump down with this warm spell we've been having.

I'll post again if I am successful and even if not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: