What to do with unused well

Old 01-27-06, 10:32 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with unused well

I recently bought and moved into a 19 year old house. The house is on public water, but must have been originally built with a well. I know nothing about wells. There is a small tank (about half the size of a 40 gallon water heater) next to the water heater. What is this tank? Does anything need to be done with it? Should the well pump circuit breaker be shut off (it isn't)? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm supposed to ignore all this well stuff or do something about it. I can tell you that both previous home owners didn't seem to care too much about anything and that is the only reason I am asking.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 12:31 PM
Most Public Water companies require all well piping to be disconnected from the service lines of the house to avoid contamination. If you hunt around, you may find that your well is only connected to the outside faucets for irrigation and lawn care. You may be able to get more info by calling your water service provider. Most are more than happy to do inspections and give you the results you need. Good luck.

Old 01-27-06, 12:50 PM
X
Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's hooked up to anything outside - that is a possibility though. How much would someone charge to remove the equipment and cap the well?

Old 01-27-06, 01:14 PM
It would depend on the codes in your area. When I capped my old well in Florida, it had to be filled with Type 3 Portland cement. Was advised by well driller it would take 11 bags for a 110 foot deep well. Labor costs in your area would also be a factor. You may want to run an ad in the paper and sell the equipment or give it away for removing it. The capping may also have to be certified by an inspector.

Old 01-28-06, 11:56 AM
R
if the well is not used and you don't expect to ever use it, then plugging and abandoning the well is the best bet. this will help to keep the world a better place for your children and mine. old unused wells can create major evriromental contamination problems. good well abandonment.

Old 01-28-06, 02:34 PM
L
Most state environmental laws require that the well be plugged. Cheeck your state's laws as some require certification of some sort.

Old 02-03-06, 12:11 PM
X
Thanks everyone.