Moving a Water Tank

Old 01-31-06, 02:02 PM
april
Visiting Guest
Moving a Water Tank

You guys helped me last summer with my water pressure/pump problems, so I've come to you again to ask, can my water tank be moved? It's located inside the deteriorating shed behind my home, which I would like to convert into a screened-in area (another forum, another time). Any idea of the trouble and cost I might expect? How will the tank need to be housed?

Much thanx, April

Old 02-01-06, 06:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your post begs so many questions. I am sure that the tank can be moved, the question is how involved will that be?
The answer to your question depends on: what piping is connected to the tank or in the vicinity of the tank?; is this for a well or a spring?; where do you live (does it ever freeze there?)?; is there a pump and is it controlled by a pressure switch near the tank?

Old 02-02-06, 09:03 AM
april
Visiting Guest
Moving Tank

Here are your answers: This tank supplies my whole house. It is filled from a submersible pump (30' down) about 20 feet from the location of the tank. It freezes here a few times every winter. There is a pressure switch on the tank.

Old 02-02-06, 10:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pressure switch needs to move with the tank, along with its associated wiring (feed from service panel to switch and then from switch to pump).
The tank and piping need to be protected from freezing.
You could tee off of the black plastic piping where the tank is now, and run new black plastic piping to the new tank location (as well as the electrical cables). I would install a check valve in the line just on the pump side of the new tee, and not have a check valve at the tank.
You did not answer about the piping on the house side of the tank. From the tank, how and where does the piping run, and where and how does it first split off of that main pipe?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: