Sewage odor during rain

Old 02-02-06, 01:51 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewage odor during rain

Hello,
I'm on an old septic system that's probably 30 years old. While it seems to work fine, occasionally during rainy days I get a sewage odor in the house. I can't pinpoint a location. I have only 1 bathroom and kitchen sink, with only the bath being vented. Any thoughts on why this happens ? Thank you........

Old 02-03-06, 08:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a simple way to determine what and where the odor is coming from. Have a plumber (or yourself) and a few people present in the home while a smoke emitter is used in a cleanout closest to the home (not inside) and blow smoke towards the house. Have someone on each floor looking around for the presence of smoke, including the attic area. Get a few smoke emitters and use them back to back with the power of a blower behind it to force the smoke towards the house.

You will find your source of the leak in this fashion, all under $7. It could be a leaking wax ring on a toilet, a dried up trap or a cracked vent/drain line in the basement/wall/attic space allowing sewer gases to escape inside the home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: