Replacing galvanized a little at a time?

Old 02-12-06, 11:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing galvanized a little at a time?

OK, I figured out what my problem was with my cold water pressure. One of my horizontal cold water mains in the cellar is both clogged and starting to corrode right through in spots. Now comes the decision of how to attack it. My funds are very minimal right now, so I'd like to do this on the cheap. Can I just replace the known bad piece of galvanized with copper? If I wanted to do the flexible tubing can I do that piecemeal? Looking for some guidance.

Old 02-12-06, 12:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not treying to prevent you from getting your leaks fixed but, soft copper is not cheap. Then there is the issue of connectors. Most soft copper uses compression fittings. These are permitted in open areas, but not in walls. You may want to look into using CPVC. That way you can start and when you are ready to continue, you just cut and glue a coupling on and go from there. As you go from joint to joint on the galvanized, use a nipple and female adapter for the last connection at the time. Then cut the CPVC and reuse the nipple and adapter on your next run. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: