Well pump problem

Old 02-19-06, 02:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Well pump problem

I'm having problems with my well which has a sumbersible pump with a pressure tank, a 30/50 pressure switch and a 6 month old control box. I don't know anything about the pump except that it's been in service for longer than the 4 years I've owned the house.
So, here're my symptoms:
1. Sudden drop in water pressure since yesterday, but does stay at about 20lbs at the well head and at about the same level inside the house.
2. There's apparently no water in the pressure tank, as it's very light and there's no condensation line.
3. The pressure tank air pressure is about 20lbs.
4. The pressure switch looks awful, but current does flow when I manually open and close the contacts; however, the contacts never open in relation to water pressure.
5. The pump appears to stay on continuously based on a minor vibration felt on the well head when the current is flowing which is all the time.

So apparently, the pump is running constantly and enough to supply 20 lbs of water pressure in the house, but no water appears to be going into the pressure tank and there's not enough pressure to cut off the pressure switch.

This doesn't sound good to me. Hoping you guys will get me off the hook.

Old 02-19-06, 03:31 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
right out of the gate, it sounds like your water level is low or you have a bad pipe between the pump and tank. of course there are other possibilites like a bad pump, water logged tank. try deadheading the pump output to determine maximum output pressure and gpm delivery to eliminate the pump from the problem then work your way toward the house. good luck. no water sucks, but at least you have some output.

Old 02-19-06, 08:32 PM
P
You might try shutting the pump off for a few hours to see if the well regenerates. If the pressure returns to normal when you restart the pump, then drops back off, you'll know you have issues with the water level in the well. If the pressure drops immediately after the pump shuts off, you'll know you have a leak or bad checkvalve. Might eliminate some questions.
Ron

Old 02-19-06, 08:46 PM
J
I did notice that when I manually opened the contacts on the pressure switch that water ran back out of the system and down the well.

Would that mean a bad check valve?

What puzzles me is there being no water in the pressure tank (and 20lbs of air pressure on the bladder), though there is 20lbs of water pressure in the house.

Can the inlet to the pressure tank become clogged?

Or is it possible that there's a clog somewhere around the pressure switch mechanism that would keep it jammed in the on (closed) position?

I'm still hoping for a solution that will keep me from having to pull the pump, so please keep thinking.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-06, 07:05 AM
P
If there's 20 psi precharge in the tank, and the pump is only putting out 20 psi, there's not enough pressure from the pump to force water into the tank. The pump has to overcome the tank precharge in order to fill the tank.
Could be a bad checkvalve or a leak in the pipe that causes the water to flow back when the pump shuts off.
I would suspect a leak, at least at this point with the info given, rather than a pump problem. However, either way, you'll have to pull the pump to see which it is.
Ron

Old 02-20-06, 09:31 AM
J
Thanks Ron, that's the same line of reasoning I was coming to but still hoping you guys could bail me out of. I'll probably mess around with the above ground stuff a bit just to convince myself they're not the problem ... then call a plumber.

Old 02-28-06, 11:32 AM
J
Thanks

Hey Guys, I appreciate your help.

After remembering various strainers in the house being clogged with green translucent pieces of plastic, I figured there was only one source for that, so I had the pump replaced.

All is good, now, we can even take showers on the second floor, with the shower head being about 25' above the well head.

Thanks,

Jack Rose

Old 02-28-06, 01:07 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks for posting the outcome. not enough do

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: