think sub. pump went out...

Old 02-19-06, 03:25 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
think sub. pump went out...

Pump is a sub. pump "think" its a 1/4 about 8 years old.About a hour ago wife started cooking supper and we had not water.I checked the pressure switch and power to the contoller box all is fine.Ohmed out the motor leads and heres what I got black/yellow=3.8 ohms black/red+67k ohms and climbing and yellow/red=60k ohms and climbing...Notice label on the controller stated motor winding on the balck/yellow at 6-7.5 ohms for a 1/3 and a litle lower for a 1/2 hp pump..The controller does humm for about 15 secs then kicks off..Theres some more info on label on the controller but its unreadeable..Is there a way to "jump" out the controller to be positive its the pump or pump motor?Thanks

Well,I manage to check the voltage coming from the controller to the pump with the ps pulled in..The Black wire it a continous 120,Red wire is only hot when the controller is buzzing at 87v and the yellow is always 120v...Does those readings look OK?The red wire has me wondering if its a controller problem.Also checked the voltage between the wires going to the pump and got Black/Red=101v,Red/Yellow=140v and Black/Yellow=220v

Last edited by recountryman; 02-19-06 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 08:41 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe that red wire is part of the starting circuit and drops out of the mix once the pump is running. Have you checked the start capacitor in the control box?
Ron

Old 02-20-06, 05:55 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just switch control box panels with a known good one...Still no luck but voltages do look a little better.Time for a new pump and its a cold rain outside!Well got it pulled problem was in the starter circuit on pump .Just got a new 1hp pump and all new hardware (wire,175 ft of pipe,shock absorber and other stuff) Guy that did it said the pump didn't need a control box unable to remember the name of it.At a whopping $1400...

Last edited by recountryman; 02-20-06 at 10:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: