Shallow Well Jet Pump Not Working

Old 02-22-06, 11:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shallow Well Jet Pump Not Working

My son is building a house in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. He has driven a point into sandy soil and run a flexible pipe (I believe 1 inch I.D.) from the point apparatus to his house at a depth of approximately 4.5 feet. The pipe then enters through his garage floor into the heated garage to the pump location. He believes that the point is less than 25 feet below his pumping elevation ( he’s measured it to be approximately 20 feet). The horizontal run from the well to the pumping location is approximately 100 feet.
He can attach a hand pump and successfully pump water from the well; however, when he attaches the jet pump (a brand new Myers model HJ), he is not successful. I believe that he is priming the system correctly - he has added water to the pump via a tee connector at the drain plug location. He even attached the hand pump up stream from the jet pump (on the house side), produced water from the well by hand pumping and then switched over to the jet pump – only to get about a 1 gallon of water before the flow stopped. I should also mention that he was a check valve just down stream (well side) from the jet pump.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-06, 04:43 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Could be the well can't produce the amount of water required. If he keeps pumping the handpump, how much water can he get before he has problems?

Old 02-23-06, 04:28 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As it turns out, air leakage appears to be the culprit. Tightening up on all fittings above ground produced a working system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: