Well pump makes pipes rattle

Old 03-09-06, 12:15 PM
O
oonkj
Visiting Guest
Well pump makes pipes rattle

This is a great forum, I hope you can help me.

I have a new house (still under builders warranty). Five months after we moved in we started hearing a rattling noise everytime the well kicked in. The noise has gotten progressively louder and now we hear it the whole time the pump is running, not just when it starts. The builder has been looking for loose pipes and today he installed some sort of vibration damper. After all this the noise is a little quieter, but still present. I think my builder is chasing the symptoms, but ignoring the cause. What do you all think? I'd hate to find out the day after my warranty ends that the pump was going bad all along!!!

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-06, 10:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a submersible pump, or above ground?
What type of pipe comes in from the well, and what type runs through the house?
There could be several reasons why this is happening, but it would be helpful know this info.
Ron

Old 03-10-06, 09:19 AM
O
oonkj
Visiting Guest
It is a submersible pump, the pipe that comes up through the basement floor is galvanized. The galvanized is coupled to pvc that runs in and out of the pressure tank. Then the pvc is coupled to copper that runs throughout the house. Everything was vibrating until my builder put a piece of flexable stainless steel pipe just after the pressure tank. The flexable pipe made everything a little quieter, but I still hear the same buzzing/rattling noise when the pump first starts.

Thanks