Problem with new sump pump

Old 03-13-06, 06:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with new sump pump

I had to replace the submersible sump pump in my basement this past weekend. I'm not really sure if the pump stopped working or the switch went bad, but it was 10 years old and it was raining hard, so I just decided to replace the whole thing. I don't know very much about sump pumps, but I was able to replace it pretty easily. My problem is that now the pump runs every 3 minutes. I put on a new check valve (installed the correct way), but that did not stop it from running so often. My old pump was a 1/3 HP, and I replaced it with a 1/2 HP. The switch is the plastic ball type that rides up a metal rod until it hits a switch. The instructions talked about the switch being factory set, but did not say how to adjust it. Can someone tell me how to adjust the switch? Or should I try to raise the pump up higher in the pit? I am afraid that this new pump is going to wear out fast if it keeps running so often.
I should tell you that when I initially put the replacement pump in, it ran for about 2 hours straight until all of the water stopped rushing in. But now the rain has stopped, and it is still running every 3 minutes.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-13-06, 07:23 AM
P
Does the new pump have a different float system than the old one?
The switch on your new pump isn't adjustable. Even if you raise the pump in the pit, it will still only drop the level so many inches. The run frequency will remain the same.
You could tie the switch in the on position and use another float to control the pump.
Ron

Old 03-13-06, 07:30 AM
H
No, the pump switch is the same as the old one. I debated on what type to buy, but decided to go with what I had on the old one.

Old 03-14-06, 11:46 AM
S
Confused?

Sounds to me like the pump is doing what it is supposed to do. You said that it ran for two hours "until the water stopped pouring in". That's what it is supposed to do--keep pumping out water from the pit.

Even though it has stopped raining, the ground may still be saturated and water can keep coming into the pit and the water level will trigger the pump to come on. Can you see the water level rising in the pit, the pump come on and then the level go down? Again, that is what it is supposed to do. Or is the pump just coming on when water does not have to be pumped out of the pit?

Where does you water discharge to? If you are just dumping it right back outside and not piping it well away from the house, you are just creating a vicious cycle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: