Slow septic pump?

Old 03-13-06, 11:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow septic pump?

I just had my septic pump replaced. The guy who installed the new pump said it is pumping slower than it should (about 1/2 the speed) and thinks it is a problem with the drainfield. I don't know where the drainfield is so just requested an "as built" from the county. He said once he knows where it is, he can come out and fix the problem for about $1k.

Does this seem reasonable? How can he know what the problem is or how much it will cost before even checking out the drainfield?

What are some reasons that the pump would be pumping slowly?

Our soil has a high clay content -> I've been reading about a product called Septic Seep and am wondering if that might help in this situation.

This is my first house with a septic system so this is all new to me. I want to take the right/necessary steps but don't want to be taken advantage of either....

Would welcome any comments or suggestions. Please.... and Thanks.

Old 03-14-06, 09:47 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Years ago my septic tank was draining slowly. I called a septic company to pump the tank. The guy found a damp spot between the tank and the D-box that he said was probably a broken outlet from the tank. He wanted $500 just to dig up the spot to see what was wrong. I decided that I would dig the pipe up myself and save a bunch of money.
The deeper I got, the nastier it got. By the time I got to the 4" PVC pipe (busted by a backfilled boulder) I was wearing knee high rubber boots and those big thick rubber elbow length gloves.
After I replaced the pipe, I threw my gloves, boots, and tools into the hole and buried them. If I could have done it over, I would have paid the guy $1000. No more septic work for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: