Sump pump continues running even when the water has run out.

Old 03-15-06, 05:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump continues running even when the water has run out.

I'm posting this for my mom, I'm not at her house right now so I'm just repeating what she told me.

Basically the sump pump continues running even when the water has been shot outside. Water still comes in from outside but the pump continues to run. I found this post with a similar problem but I wanted to make sure it's the same thing. The question was never fully answered so I'm looking for some help.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 05:04 PM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Sounds like the float switch is either bad or stuck.

Old 03-15-06, 05:24 PM
D
Originally Posted by joed
Sounds like the float switch is either bad or stuck.
How do you go about checking? Thanks for the post.

EDIT: How do I get to the float switch and where is it?

Old 03-16-06, 08:42 AM
C
Somebody is going to have to remove the pit cover and stick their hands into the pit and manually work the switch mechanism up/down to see if the motor turns on/off. Look for a plastic or hard rubber floating device that is either mounted at the end of a wire tether or rides up/down a vertical shaft. Grab the float and work it up and down to see if it operates the motor. Sometime lime scale or dirt can impede the up and down movement of the float....that or the wire tether gets caught up on the piping. If you have a non-moving float (ex. diaphragm switch), there is no moving float device. In any case, remove and clean anything from the float switch mechanism.

If the pump has been running continuously since your post, the motor could be fried by now....better to get a replacement pump in that case.

Old 03-16-06, 11:32 AM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
There are different types of switches. The first thing to do is look in the pit and determine which type you have.
One type is a pedestal pump and the switch is on the pump and activated by a rod with a foat on it. As the water rises the float moves the rod up and down switching the pump on and off.
Another type is a rubber ball that floats up and down on a cord. As the ball rises and lowers it tips and turns the pump on and off. This type could also be setup so that you plug the pump into the switch cable and then plug the whole thing into the receptacle. Maybe someone plugged the pump direct into the receptacle.