Installing a water retension tank

Old 03-22-06, 05:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a water retension tank

I live in a rual area I have a well with diaphram pressure tank. when the power goes out (2 - 3 times a year) we have no water. I would like to install a water retension tank in to the system so there will be water in reserve. the well and pressure tank is located about 200' from the house and aprox. 10' higher in elevation then the highest shower head so gravity should supply with enough pressure and there is more than enough space for a tank nearby. I just dont know how to go about Installing it other then pouring a pad for the tank. I would appreciate any advise or info on the subject.
Thanks.

Old 03-23-06, 06:05 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Probably be easier and just about as cheap to install a backup generator.

Old 03-23-06, 06:20 PM
T
A generator was my first thought, after checking the amp draw and calculating the wattage it turned out I would need a much bigger generator to handle the initial start up load then the one I have now. The thought of dropping 2K (the cheapest) on a standby generator is not pleasent (I hate unitaskers)! Also I live in the forest were fires are a real danger, I,m told CDF is more likely to try and save your house if you have a water source standing by. Plus if you figure in the cost of fuel, maintenance and overall life expectancy of the generator I think the water tank makes more sence when $700.00 gets you a 1000 gallon tank. Unless there is more to the installing of it, Thats what Im trying to find out.

Old 03-23-06, 06:28 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
The problem I have with a tank is that unless it is open to the air(at least a vent) you can't use it as gravity feed for a house. With an open vent you can't pressurize it for normal use. Stored water needs to be treated.
I suppose you could have some valves to only activate the tank when needed.

Old 03-23-06, 09:57 PM
10 feet of head won't give you much pressure at all. You will definitely lose pressure passing through 200+ ft. of pipe. You can buy a plastic or fiberglass tank and just plop it down. Can you get it any higher than 10 feet? If I recall right, you increase the pressure by 14.7 psi for every 32 ft. in height.
If you can get the tank high enough, you could routinely pump your water up to the tank and let gravity take the place of your pressure tank. You could use your pressure switch to control your well pump to maintain a level in the tank. Does it freeze where you live? If it does, you need to protect the tank from freezing. That also means that you need heat when the power goes out. There is another argument for a generator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: