prime an irrigation well after winter?

Old 04-02-06, 05:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
prime an irrigation well after winter?

Hello-

This is only my second growing season in this house - we didn't use the well for a while last year because we had adequate rainfall - when we did use it, the well started to run even when the sprinklers werent' - I noticed a leak out of the well pump - so I turned the pump off at the breaker - thinking I would fix the leak at the start of this growing season.

Now the time is here to use the irrigation - I just switched the pump on to find the leak again - the pump just kept running for about 10 minutes with no pressure gain on the gauge. Does it take longer than this to get up to pressure or do you need to prime the well or do I have deeper issues here?

Thanks for any tips!!

Old 04-03-06, 07:23 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is possible that you need to reprime the pump after it has sat so long without working. To prime it, you'll need to remove a pipe plug and fill the pump housing and suction line completely full of water. This will force all of the air out. Replace the plug and turn the pump on. It may take several minutes before the pump starts moving water. If it doesn't pick up after a bit, reprime with water again.
If your leak is on the suction side of the pump, you may need to repair ir before you can get the pump to prime.
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: