Is a washing machine filter needed for a septic system?

Old 04-05-06, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a washing machine filter needed for a septic system?

I have a septic system and was wondering if I should buy a washing machine filter such as something like this: http://www.laundry-alternative.com/septic-systems.htm

"Septic Protector"

also should I put anything down the drain once a month to treat the septic?

The septic is a raised type septic and is 3 years old. I have a 1,000 gallon septic tank, 1,500 gallon pump tank, and then a big raised leech field.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 11:37 AM
squale,

Do you currently have a water softener? If so, you should have a significant amount of lint reduction already and the washer filter may not significantly add more benefits.

Ask around to see if any of your neighbors have these devices in service and what results they get.

Old 04-05-06, 12:06 PM
1.) no I don't have a water softener

2.) should I dump septic maintenance stuff down my toilet once per month? I forget what the stuff is called but my past landlord used to have me do it once per month for his house I rented.

Old 04-05-06, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by squale
1.) no I don't have a water softener

2.) should I dump septic maintenance stuff down my toilet once per month? I forget what the stuff is called but my past landlord used to have me do it once per month for his house I rented.
From what I understand, Rid-X and similar stuff do no good at all. I'm not an expert on this so I could be wrong...

Old 04-05-06, 09:08 PM
Vey
You guys are going to think I am just *AWFUL* and I am sure it breaks who knows how many codes?, but since we don't wash diapers or any other fecal matter here, I decided that my wife jamming 10 gallons X 3 loads into the septic tank in one day was probably doing a great deal of harm to the septic system, which likes to work slowly.

The wash water now waters the petunia bed.

Run it outside, hook it up to a garden house and the plants love the phosphorus.

Just make sure it is not around a well.

Have I been banned yet? Reported to the moderator?

Last edited by Vey; 04-05-06 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 06:01 AM
Vey,
Although I personally would not do it, many areas allow "gray water" (washers and sink water) to be drained to the ground as you have mentioned. As long as it does not contain human waste, it is permitted.

Old 04-06-06, 08:08 AM
well do washer machines NEED this filter to take all the small lint, etc. out of the wastewater?

Old 04-06-06, 09:43 AM
Vey
well do washer machines NEED this filter to take all the small lint, etc. out of the wastewater?
I don't think they NEED it, but a lint filter is a good idea. It takes quite a while for lint to break down in a septic tank.

That said, $140 seems like a lot of money for something that a knee-high stocking secured with a clamp could do. I think I've even seen them for sale. It's just a sock looking thing that goes over the discharge and into the sink or outflow pipe. I think I have also seen disposable springy things, too. If you have a real hardware store around, ask in there.

Like any filter, it will need regular cleaning.

Old 04-06-06, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
also should I put anything down the drain once a month to treat the septic?

Although I don't have any hard facts that it does work, I empty a packet of yeast done the drain once a month [except when I forget ] This is what my grandfather always did.My septic system is 17 yrs old and has never been pumped.

BTW the washer has never been emptied into the septic tank.

Old 04-06-06, 11:47 AM
Vey
Originally Posted by marksr

BTW the washer has never been emptied into the septic tank.
Yeah, but you live in piney wood. I'll kep my hillbilly jokes to myself.

If squale is concerned about his septic tank, the #1 rule is forget about bleach.

No woman I have ever known understood that septic tanks can stand a little bit of it, but not much, (one cup is too much) so I had to ban it outright in our home. Pine oil disinfectant is okay and a good replacement.