working on Gould J5SH jet pump

Old 04-15-06, 01:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
working on Gould J5SH jet pump

This is a booster that hasn't been used enough and I think the impeller is binding because I didn't bypass it and the well water has a load of particulate; at any rate it won't spin when I turn it on so it's either that or the motor itself.

Question is this: under SERVICEABLE, this pump's "back pullout design allows for disassembly of pump for service without disturbing piping."

Okay, so I freed up the electrical from the motor and removed the motor adapter bolts and tried to pull it out. It ain't moving!

Anybody on this forum messed around with a Gould jet pump and tried to remove the motor without disturbing the piping?

Or did a disassembly of the pump without disturbing the piping?

Nothing more frustrating than not having a step-by-step around when things ain't going right!

joebloc

Old 04-15-06, 03:08 PM
P
You have to take the pump apart where the motor and the motor adaptor bracket come out. You can't just pull the motor. The impeller and mechanical seal have to be taken apart before the motor bracket will separate from the motor.
Ron

Old 04-15-06, 03:15 PM
V
Vey
Looking at the picture and exploded views,
http://www.goulds.com/product.asp?ID=74&MASTERID=3

it looks like you would crack the pump and remove the motor and back half of the pump, leaving the front half (where the pipes connect) in place. Sometimes cracking and old pump is difficult requiring penetrating oils and a little vibration. Don't whale away at it though, you could crack something.

Old 04-16-06, 10:34 PM
J
thanks for the info

I tracked down an 80 page GOULD pdf service manual that has the subject jet pump disassembly and assembly. I was trying to remove the motor alone instead of the assembly that is bolted to the pump housing where the piping is. Thanks to both of you for steering me in the right direction.

Now if it would warm up and stop raining maybe I could gather up the energy to go out and fix it.

Oh well...maybe tomorrow.

Old 04-20-06, 02:37 AM
J
A little learning

Hi!
Did you ever hear that saying, "a little learning is trouble?" Take that up a notch when getting info that is incomplete. The Gould troubleshooting page listed 5 things that would cause the motor not to run, including the binding impeller which was a jumped to conclusion. Yeah, they forgot to mention the G--D--- PRESSURE SWITCH! Fortunately for me, I had a bolt coming up into the pump shoe so I couldn't pull it apart as they suggested, and instead I had to take the whole pump out so I then took it to a pump guy. First thing he showed me was taking off the rear cap to get to the motor end where he turned it with his fingers to determine that the impeller WAS NOT BINDING. Gawd almighty. Then he put some 115 to it and the damn thing ran good. So I take it home (gratis on the troubleshoot at the pump shop...wouldn't take my money. Said if I needed a part I could make it up that way!) I take the pump home, install it, hook it up with the electricity, checked that the motor leads had juice coming out of the pressure switch. Fired it up. Pressure switch is a 30-50. The damn thing kept running up to 70psi before I turned it off and relieved the pressure. Then I noticed water dripping from the pressure switch diaphram housing. Light bulb finally went on over my head. Went and bought a new 30-50 pressure switch from the folks who gave me the gratis troubleshoot and problem solved. Jeez.... Next time some turkey like me comes asking for advice on how to tear apart a pump, tell them check the pressure switch before they jump to too many conclusions. And then tell them to call the pump guy or take it in to the pump guy if the pressure switch doesn't fix it because unless they have a shop with a table and tools AND the seal kit, they're asking for trouble.

BJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: