Just had my septic pumped for the first time and...

Old 04-19-06, 10:16 AM
LAL426
Visiting Guest
Just had my septic pumped for the first time and...

... I opened the tank cover after the guy left and noticed that there is still liquid inside the tank. This is the first home that I have owned with a septic system so I am not all that familiar with specific details. Shouldn't he have pumped all of the liquid out of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 07:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
He pumped all the sludge and solids out of the tank. Pumping it completely dry wouldn't give your new waste a place to liquify. I can't believe you lifted that 200 lb piece of concrete to see if he pumped it or not.

Old 04-19-06, 10:43 PM
LAL426
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chandler
He pumped all the sludge and solids out of the tank. Pumping it completely dry wouldn't give your new waste a place to liquify. I can't believe you lifted that 200 lb piece of concrete to see if he pumped it or not.

I knew that he had pumped it, but I was just curous as to what it actually looked like inside and how the system worked. And when I opened it I was surprised that there was anything in it at all.

Old 04-20-06, 08:27 AM
J
Received 271 Votes on 234 Posts
A septic tank is normally full. When percentage of solids too high compared to liquid you need it pumped.
If it is completley empty and you have a lot of rain, the tank could actually float up out of the ground like a boat. Seen that happen with pools before.