Smell in the House When Septic Needs Pump Out?

Old 05-15-06, 08:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Smell in the House When Septic Needs Pump Out?

The new (to us) house has an above ground septic as req'd by law around here (locally called a "Title 5")

It is covered by dirt and looks like a slightly flat mound

It did not need to be pumped out upon sale (not needed as per law)

Last pump out listed as "unknown" (is OK as per law) on inspection report

Ol #2 thinks she smells septic in the house and it's time for a pump-out

I have contacted the town hall and a local septic company
So far we cannot determine last pump-out date

I thought if you could smell it, it was an indication not that's it's time for a pump-out, but of other problems (vent, seals)

For the record, I think it's that the cat's litter box needs changing more often
Also for the record, we have had rain for most of three weeks now, are well on our way to a record, and rec'd well over 4" this weekend alone(I haven't checked yet-it could be 6")

My question is, can you possibly smell it inside the house when it's time for a pump-out?

Old 05-15-06, 03:16 PM
V
Vey
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I watched this sit for a few hours with no replies.
I am not a plumber, but in my experience, unless a window is open on the side of the house with the malfunction, or there is a backup, then there is no smell. A backup could be up into the trap, then there would be a slight smell.

Another way things can smell is if there is a drain that hasn't been used in a long time. That drain will dry out and allow sewer gasses to get past the trap which relies on there being a little water in it.

But, personally, if the OL says pump and you don't know when the last time it was pumped, go ahead and pump it out. Pump-outs cost less than divorces.

Old 05-15-06, 04:52 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I doubt the need for a pump would produce a smell. However, since you have no idea when the last pump was I would have it pumped just so you know the status.

Old 05-15-06, 04:54 PM
S
Yeah house is shut tight, cold and rainy and stormy for a few weeks now
heats still on...

All drains are use regularly

Basically:
Originally Posted by Vey
if the OL says pump and you don't know when the last time it was pumped, go ahead and pump it out. Pump-outs cost less than divorces.
I think that's pretty much it right there
Lol
Thanks!

Old 05-15-06, 05:40 PM
M
Does your A/C drain into your sewer pipe? Have you used the A/C yet this year? That drain could be dry and sucking sewer gasses up into your ducts while the heat is on.

Old 05-16-06, 05:42 AM
S
Originally Posted by mdtaylor
Does your A/C drain into your sewer pipe? Have you used the A/C yet this year? That drain could be dry and sucking sewer gasses up into your ducts while the heat is on.
No, no A/C here
But a good tip though

Well, I still think it's the cat box, lol
But the town keeps extreme records on these things (we're in a delicate spot here), and they have no record of a pump out (the company is supposed to report it)
However, they were able to find that the unit was installed in 2000

After six years, I'd say it's time for a pump out
That, and me changing the litter box, should solve the problem one way or the other

Thanks all

Old 05-25-06, 10:35 AM
Here a couple of ideas.
-I've found that with my house being on a well with no clorinated water that the drains smell quicker than when I was on city water. Get some drain cleaner for septic systems and freshen all of them up. Toothpaste, soap etc.. above the water in a trap can stink in a hurry. Also clean the overflow as that can trap the gunk too.
-Next bet is that the wax ring on your toilet needs to be replaced.

Both can be sources for unpleasant odours is everything else checks out.

Old 06-12-06, 06:54 PM
C
Does your system require a sump-pump (Trash pump?) to pump up to your septic tank? If so, check the seals on your sump cover. Is it bolted down tight?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: