trouble pulling old sandpoint out

Old 06-12-06, 12:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trouble pulling old sandpoint out

I have a house which was built in 1958 that has an existing well in it (used to supply the household water before city water came thru). I just recently tried to get the pump working again but only got a trickle.

The well hasn't supplied water since about 1960, so I just assumed the point was all plugged up. So I started pulling up the inner pipe (1 1/4 pipe inside a 3" pipe). I've got it up about 25 feet (most with lots of resistance) but can't get it any further. I've pounded it back down a few inches and then pulled back up hoping what ever had a grip on it let go. No luck. I'm using a 4 ton come along and a sturdy pod.

TIA. carsick

Followup/edit: Ok, just learned that this is not a sandpoint but a "Deep well jet pump - packer system". It's a single-pipe sytem which uses the well casing as the drive pipe.

I was told I would probably break it if I just pulled it straight up. Apparently a well company will bump it up and down untill it comes out, with no guarantee they won't break it and have to fish it out (??sounds fishy). Can anyone confirm this? Or should I press my luck and try to get it out myself. I'm guessing the only thing that would break would be the leathers. TIA. carsick.

Last edited by carsick; 06-12-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 10:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
got it out

I just wanted to follow up for anyone who might have this problem in the future.

I had a discussion with an experienced well driller who told me to pull up and twist followed by pushing it down and up. The idea was to wear out the leather cups on what ever was holding them up.

After about an hour of that it came out. I looked down and discovered it was hung up on the case weldings. The casing is not a long smooth pipe, but rather a bunch of shorter ones welded together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: