Shallow Well

Old 07-03-06, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shallow Well

I have a camp in fla and want to put in a shallow well. I am looking to do this myself and would like to know if anyone has done this? If so what was your way of doing it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 01:13 PM
Vey
Do you have pressurized water there now? Or can you get it from a neighbor?

Old 07-03-06, 08:27 PM
I have access to a 200 gallon water tank and 80psi waterpump.

Old 07-04-06, 12:33 AM
Vey
Hmm. 200 gallons might not be enough for what I am thinking. Could be slow going, but depends on how fast the tank can be refilled and transported.

Brady Products out of Clearwater sells their pieces parts through Home Depots and has instructions here:
http://bradyproducts.com/documents/wellinstallation.pdf

Read that over carefully. One thing they allude to, but don't explicitly say, is that the PVC pipe manufacturers don't have tight tolerances when it comes to the interior diameters. So the best thing to do is to get one of the 2" and one of the 1 1/4" fittings and try "try before you buy" any pipe. I stand right there in the store sticking the fitting in the pipes until I find enough that fit right.

If water washing is out, then look at this page:
http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

and you should read this even if you want to wash it down.

But I can tell you from personal experience that wahing is vastly better. For one thing, you can see what is down there which helps you know when to stop.

For another, if you get into what they call "hard pan" around here, but is really heavy clay, and you are pounding you are just about all done, since progress will almost stop. How much of a stop? 100 bangs to the inch is what I was getting before I quit it and tried again by washing.

But if you are washing, like I did on my second attempt, you can put a little pipe wrench on the pipe and "twist" the 2" pipe, and cut through the clay using the "teeth" that you notched in.

Look at your county's Soil Survey maybe at the public library or possibly online from the US Geological Survey. In my place, things are very unsettled. Can be very different in 10 feet distance. In my case, I never found coarse sand (also known as "bar", "square", or "builder's" sand) and I had many layers of clay or fine sand going all the way down. According to some people around here, in some places, the hard pan can be 400' thick. Now that's a scary thought.

So went down to 35', had water at 16' (during our drought) and put 13' of screen down there. I would get a 6 inches layer of clay, then 2inches of sand, then maybe 2 feet of clay and 3 feet of sand. That way, I let the well decide where to get it's water -- from several layers rather than me trying to guess where to stop. I reckon that the 13 feet of clay maybe got me 5 feet of screen exposed to sand and water.

One of the best ways I found to determine where to stop is to pur water down the pipe. If the pipe fills up and the water goes down slowly, that is not a good spot. Keep going. If the top of the screen is down at least six feet below the static level of water and you can't fill up the pipe, then that is a good place.

Last edited by Vey; 07-04-06 at 12:49 AM.