Air In Water?


Old 07-06-06, 12:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Air In Water?

My husband recently replaced our old galvanized tank with a new diaphragm tank. With great Q & A's from this forum he was able to do the job himself. We now have incredible water pressure but we also have a lot of air. Our tap water looks like Perrier. Should we be concerned? Thanx as always for your help!
Old 07-06-06, 07:35 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 929
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's that way because your well was designed to have a standard tank. That means AIR will be normally introduced into your pressure tank. A standard tank has the means to bleed off unnecessary air in the tank but a bladder tank does not. In fact, a bladder tank is not even expecting any air so it has no place to go. It ends up in your house.

The proper fix is to convert the well design to accomodate a bladder tank. The method will depend on what type of pump you have.
Old 07-07-06, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Air in Water

The more I know, the more confused I become. The terminology varies from person to person. Are we speaking of the same kind of tank? Is there such a thing as a STANDARD pressure tank?

What I understood from the discussions here was that they don't make the 25 yr old tank I had anymore (air on top, water on bottom, galvanized, hydo-pneumatic with the inlet on the bottom to add air to the tank when the pressure drops) and that it should be replaced with a diaphragm type, NOT the bladder type. We replaced the shallow well pump last year and the pressure tank last week.

After spending roughly $600, I can live with air in my water.
Old 07-07-06, 08:50 AM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,731
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
They most certainly do still make the non bladder tanks.
The solution to your problem might as simple as putting cap on the snifter valve where air gets sucked into the system. Look for a vlave on the pump intake that looks llike a tire valve. Put a cap on it. A steel one would best instead of one of the ceap plastic ones.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: