What size pump

Old 08-01-06, 02:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size pump

I am putting in an above ground poly. water storage tank which will be fed by our well. The tank(cistern) will be 180' from the house with a rise of 4-5' over that distance. I am going to use 1" pvc, coz that is what is run to the house now and I'd prefer not to run all new pipe to the cistern, I'm just going to tap into the existing line between the well and house. I would like to use a jet pump but not sure what size. I know about the advantages of a sub in the cistern(more pressure, flow, quiet etc....), but would like to try a jet anyway. I was trying to run some numbers for pressure drop in order to size a pump to hopefully get 40psi at the house.
Head: .433X5'= 2.1psi loss; 1"pvc loss/100' @5gpm would be 1.72X 1.8= 3psi so total of 5.1psi loss @5gpm or 12.9psi loss at 10gpm if my numbers are right. What pressure should I expect a 3/4hp pump to make and at what flow? How about 1hp pump?
Given the situation as above how much pressure could I expect at the house with a 3/4hp vs. 1hp jet pump?
Thanks alot,
MDC

Old 08-02-06, 01:43 PM
B
Bump..............

Old 08-05-06, 08:25 AM
P
Pump Recommended!

I too would recommend using a submersible pump in the storage tank with a Cycle Stop Valve and a small pressure tank.
However either a 3/4hp or 1 hp shallow well jet pump should satisfactory depending on the maximum demand at any given time. However I do recommend installing the pump, tank and pressure switch at the storage tank with a Cycle Stop Valve between the pump and tank/pressure switch. This will prevent the pump from cycling when the demand isn't great.
I don't recomend using the existing 1" line as a suction line. It causes a higher vaccuum on the pump and can cause cavitation of the pump and premature demise of the pump. Properly installed you will be able to get the flow and pressure you desire.
Contact information removed.

Last edited by mattison; 08-05-06 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Contact information removed.
Old 08-06-06, 10:44 AM
B
Porky,
Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't going that small on the suction side of the jet pump, at least 1 1/4" or maybey 1 1/2"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: