Low Pump Cutoff pressure

Old 08-25-06, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Pump Cutoff pressure

I have a 140' well with a Flo Tec bladder tank inside of the house. A Square D 40/60 pressure switch was installed about a year ago replacing one that went bad.

The switch will kick on at 38 but recently it only goes to about 50 and then I start drawing on the water that has been pumped into the bladder tank. It also appears that this water is drawn down very quickly causing a rapid cycle of filling, drawndown, filling and so on.

Any suggestion on what to check first. I know the pressure switch can be adjusted to correct a little difference in cutoff pressure, but 10 psi is more than I want to try to accomplish.

I though that maybe the brass nipple that the pressure switch sets on might be partially clogged, but wouldn't that cause the pressure to go higher and not lower?

Willing to try anything.

P.S. I know Flo Tec is not the greatest but when my old bladder tank crapped out years ago on a weekend, I could only get a Flo Tec at the big orange HD as all the plumbing supply houses were closed. If it sounds like I need a new bladder tank, what is the preferred tank nowadays.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-06, 12:03 PM
Vey
Sounds as though there is too much air volume in the tank and that isn't allowing enough water volume in. Pressures seem right.

This gets asked a lot, so poke around in here and you should find some step-by-step instructions on how to reset the tank. Don't forget to get all the water out of the tank -- blow it out if you have to -- before you start putting air in.

Old 08-25-06, 12:15 PM
No Problem doing the reset

I've resent the tank pressure before when I put the new pressure switch on, so I'll do that again and see if that gets my cutoff pressure closer to 60.

Old 08-25-06, 02:53 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
.... I start drawing on the water that has been pumped into the bladder tank.
If you are drawing water off how will the tank reach pressure? please explain this statement if I mis interpretted.

Old 08-25-06, 02:54 PM
Vey
It could just be that the pump is getting old and can't get it up anymore.

When you say that the pump is coming on too often, how big a tank did you get? According to this:
http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/Page_44_2004.pdf

their 42 gallon tank only hold 5.8 gallons of water. That's not even 2 flushes of a low-flow toilet.

Old 08-26-06, 09:45 AM
The original post is not clear on whether or not the pump reaches the pressure switch cut off pressure.

So, my question is, does the switch ever cut the pump off, even if you close the valve to the house? If so, at what pressure?

Old 08-26-06, 10:15 AM
Wink

with a Flo Tec bladder tank inside of the house. A Square D 40/60 pressure switch was installed about a year ago replacing one that went bad.
The switch will kick on at 38 but recently it only goes to about 50 and then I start drawing on the water that has been pumped into the bladder tank. It also appears that this water is drawn down very quickly causing a rapid cycle of filling, drawndown, filling and so on.
Is the bladder in the tank ok???? check the schrader valve on it and see if you get water or air. reset the tank air with all water out of it psi38lb.

Psi switch is it good or bad???? Try and reset it back to the 40 on and 60 off. you also will have to reset the differential to that 20psi.

ED

Old 08-26-06, 10:43 AM
Sorry for any confusion

I thought I was clear in that the cutoff switch cuts off at 50 psi instead of the 60 psi it is designed to cut off at.

Since it cuts off at 50 psi, no more water is being pumped into the bladder tank, so I am drawing down on the water that is in the tank which is less than should be in the tank. Since there is less in the tank, it pumps out quicker and causes the pressure switch to kick back on at 38 psi more quickly.

Hopefully this is explaining my situation a little better.

Does everybody agree that I might have too much air in the bladder tank now and that draining the bladder tank and pressurizing to 38 psi is the first step?

Old 08-26-06, 11:14 AM
Wink

Have you tried to reset the switch??????? it should tell you how right in the lid of it.push it up so it cuts off at 60
Square D 40/60 pressure switch

If you have a cut in of 40 psi Then the empty tank should have air psi of 38lb in it then turn the pump on. Shoud tell you on the tank how to set it

ED

Old 08-26-06, 12:38 PM
Just some clarification

ED,

First, thanks for the responses and for being patient with my limited knowledge.

Just some clarification on adjusting the pressure switch and pressure switches in general.

Is it normal or at least not unusual that a pressure switch would drop from 60 psi to 50 psi cutoff in a year. When I replaced it a year ago it would shut off right at the factory preset of 60 psi. What might be the cause of the pressure switch dropping that much?

Also is it recommended to try and adjust these switches to get 10 more psi or is that stretching the limits of the adjustment?

Old 08-26-06, 03:47 PM
I'd inspect the switch real close. It could be anything from a broken spring to ants in the switch to simply wear.

I'd set it to 40-60 and check the pre-charge. Then see how it works. Just out oc curiosity, how far is it from the well site to the tank at the house, and what size pipe?