pressure not building to shut off pump

Old 08-30-06, 09:16 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question pressure not building to shut off pump

pump is pumping, holding tank(bladder) is holding pressure, pressure switch is operating properly, just replaced out going pipe to ht(heard a hiss), observe a very small drip coming from incoming(from well)line. is this the problem, or could it be something else. my pressure builds only to 35 psi, needs to shut off at 60, but never reaches that far.

Last edited by hobber; 08-30-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 07:31 PM
Was the pump able to fill the tank to 60 psi before? If you turn the pump off does the system hold pressure? Is there a check value by the tank or just a foot value at the bottom of the well?

Old 08-30-06, 08:14 PM
P
If you saw a drip from the pump suction line, then , yes, this could be keeping the pump from building pressure. It only takes a little air to keep a pump from building pressure.
Ron

Old 08-31-06, 05:05 AM
S
Without any pressure on the pipe what is the pressure in the bladder tank? If your bladder tank doesn't hold air at just below cut-in pressure your pump may not be able to pump it up to 60psi.

Old 08-31-06, 05:40 AM
H
thanks for replying,
pressure is holding in tank @38, there is a check valve on the intake from the well, the pressure has built to 60 previously. I'm going to replace the check valve (which is where I notice a drip upon shut off) today if that doesn't do it, I'll have an answer to "is it holding pressure after shut off". Will get back this afternoon. Again thanks for the reply.

Old 08-31-06, 10:08 AM
H
Question still a mystery

fixed the leak between the pump and well, isntalled new gauge, cleaned out line to pressure switch, still no change. water comes out great for the hose just past the tank, but pressure will not get above 40.???
do I really need a 40/60 switch? if I can get 40 psi why can't I just put in a 20/40?
Is there any other way to determine if the bladder is shot? There is no water comming from air valve, the tank fills about 1/2 full after 5 minutes of pumping, and holds pressure. The system will hold at 39-40psi after shut-off.

Old 08-31-06, 10:25 AM
Assuming your gauge is working (they do get clogged); I think either your pump is starting to go bad and canít push the psi or you have a bigger leak in the pipe coming in from the well. The check value by the tank is keeping what water pressure gets to the tank in it but, the pump canít push anymore.

To test my theory you could bypass the check value by the tank with some pipe and run the pump. There should be a check/foot value at the bottom of the well to keep the pressure in anyways. Turn the pump off and see if the pressure holds. If it does then there is something wrong with the pump. If the water starts to run out youíll know you have a leak and about how big it is by how fast water leaves the tank.

If the bladder was shot the tank would still, eventually, fill up and the pressure would get to 60. It would just fall really fast when you turned on a faucet. As for getting a 20/40 switch, I'd first see if there is a leak or if your pump is going bad. Getting a lower psi switch would just be a band aid for the problem.

Old 09-01-06, 01:11 PM
H
Smile

what a lesson I learned! try the simple things first. after pulling the pipe, replacing it and a foot valve, the problem turned out to be a slight blockage in the pump. the front screw was removed and the oriface was cleaned out with a screw driver. my advice to anyone with a similiar problem is do that first, clean out the pressure line to switch, before doing the more complicated things. thanks for the help. I do have another problem though and I will start a new thread for that.

Old 09-20-06, 05:49 PM
H
I have twice had a similar problem and after doing the more complex things I found the cause--corroded bit of L-shaped pipe leading to gauge. The inside of the pipe diameter (maybe 1/2 inch originally) was down to pencil-lead size. Replaced it and all was well (no pun intended!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: