PVC and Pumps - Do they get along?

Old 08-30-06, 03:58 PM
sparky23
Visiting Guest
Smile PVC and Pumps - Do they get along?

Hi,
I have a new Flotec 1/2 horse jet pump I am going to install. My private well is a sandpoint, I believe only about 15 ft. deep.

I am wondering is it ok to replace all the galvenized steel pipes (they are full of caked on crap) leading into and out of pump with PVC? If it is ok should I be careful of anything?

Also, do I need a check valve at the neck of the pump inlet (where water is coming in from well) if I already have a foot valve just about 2 feet away on the well line just after it emerges from the ground? It was like that on the old pump (it had that setup). But the picture for a sandpoint does not show the check valve right at the pump, only the foot valve (in the Flotec manual).

Thanks

Last edited by sparky23; 08-30-06 at 04:09 PM. Reason: wanted email notification
Old 08-30-06, 04:43 PM
V
Vey
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC inlet is okay.

Many people recommend using steel on the outlet for a foot or so before switching to PVC. That's because if you get any cavitation in the pump it will heat up the outlet pipe and PVC doesn't like heat.

Only one check valve is needed. That can be at the bottom of the well (called a foot valve) or after the pipe exits the ground (called a check valve).

Old 08-30-06, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have the same setup at my seasonal camp. Flo-tec 1/2 HP pump with a drivepoint.

I switched all piping after the tee (top of the well) to PVC. No problems. Check valve is a few inches from the pump intake. No footvalve.

Has worked well for four seasons.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: