shut off between pump and tank

Old 11-06-06, 05:10 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shut off between pump and tank

The following seems like a bad plumbing situation to me but this is the way my current well to house plumbing is configured. Starting at the 4" galvanized Well casing I have a submersible pumpwhich pushes water into the house through 1" galvanized pipe. As it enters the house there is a 1" ball valve which is to say a stop valve exists between the house pressure supply and the submersible pump. This means that should the pump be switched on while the valve is closed the pressure control switch and pressure bladder tank have no control over water flow. So here is this poor submersible pump that could be running against a closed stop valve.

Seems to me that valve should never be closed and any line stop valve for a household system from a well system should be betweeen pressure switch and tank and the household plumbing supply.

I would welcome any thoughts on this arrangement. Can a submersible pump receive any damage from such a plumbing arrangement?

bs5

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 08:32 AM
S
yes if the pump runs aginst a closed valve it can be damaged.
I have seen wells plumbed like this and I dont think its a good set up, when I see this I will remove the valve handle so it can not be shut off. Or if replumbing I just remove the valve.

Sam

Old 11-06-06, 02:10 PM
B
Why would anyone turn off the valve on accident? If a person turns off the valve for various reasons I would expect they would disable the pump (circut breaker). I have this set up and turn of the valve to change out a sand filter that comes before the pressure tank. I have also turned it off to watch the pressure guage to see if the pressure tank pressure dropped (to make sure it wasn't due to a a bad check valve in my pump).

Old 11-06-06, 10:05 PM
There should never be a shutoff valve between the pump and switch. If you want a shutoff between the pump and tank for whatever reason splice the switch takeoff before that valve. I’ve pushed submersibles up to 100 PSI before and they’ll do it without blinking.

I can see the next homeowner easily mistaking that valve as functioning like a city water main shutoff and not even realizing that the pump will keep running building up pressure causing something mechanical to break or a pipe/connection to fail.

Old 11-06-06, 10:26 PM
Wink

I think they screwed up. Id say should be a check valve with a schrader in it so you can set up a sniffer valve in the down pipe. If you want.

Old 11-07-06, 04:22 AM
B
I believe the verdict is in on this one and I hear it loud and clear. Either that valve at it's present location gets disabled or it gets taken out. The system will look like this soon:

4" well case and submersible pump > check valve > tee to pressure tank and pressure control switch (boiler drain/lowest point of household plumbing system) > Now a nice Gate valve or line stop > to inlet on water softener/household system.

> = 1" or 3/4" Galvanized or copper water line

The system used to share a submersible pump and well with the house next door by simply adding a tee in one houses water supply. That explains why a line stop was placed where it was as the water pressure could always bounce off he other systems pressure switch and pressure tank. But things can and did change and one has to be wary of any current plumbing configurations. Things did change when a new well was drilled and the two systems now were independent.

So, the first time we switched on the newly separated well submersible pump for the now independent household system.......it ran into a brick wall when the water pressure hit that closed valve. Thankfully, the closed valve was discovered within about 30 seconds when an alert worker discovered the situation and quickly opened the valve. It did manage to Blow some pipe scale (well water mineral deposit) plugging the boiler drain at bottom of pressure tank.

So, $h*+ happens. I hope everyone with an interest in this thread that did not think about this situation as a negative before will learn to watch out for this potential red flag when one installs a well system to a household.

Thanks to all participants.

bs5

Last edited by bullshooter5; 11-07-06 at 04:46 AM.