Sump pump discharge line screen

Old 12-05-06, 03:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump discharge line screen

I managed to deepen my sump pit and reinstall the pump when the original contractor did a lousy job a few years ago, and today I unclogged my frozen discharge line after my neighbor moved it and left it running uphill, yet I am absolutely clueless about some things that are probably very simple.

I did see another neighbor apply a screen over the end of his discharge line when I believe he discovered a mice problem in his crawl space, and I too had mice down there a few years back. I have been keeping some plastic mesh over the outlet hose, but as a result of this when the pump runs the water shoots out a couple feet in all directions. I believe this is causing more ice on my neighbor's driveway than would be if the screen were not there.

Is this a good, bad, or necessary precaution? Are there any known problems with animals going through or making homes in sump pump discharge lines, particularly during dry spells when the pump may rarely operate? I have no idea. Thanks.

Old 12-06-06, 03:53 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I suppose it's possible for mice to get into your pipe, but most pumps are pretty strong and would "flush" them out when the pump runs. If you have a check valve in your pipe there is no way they could get into your house through the pipe. Some people don't like using check valves because of a freezing problem but if you have a good downward pitch on the pipe where it leaves the building that shouldn't be a problem. During those dry periods it's not a bad idea to run the pump once an awhile to keep things free.

Steve

Old 12-06-06, 08:35 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Unless you pit dries out completly and you don't have a check valve I don't see mice comeing in through the pipe. I don't think they can swim under water to get out of the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: