Low Pressure/Volume Woes!!!PLease Help!!!

Old 12-08-06, 02:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Pressure/Volume Woes!!!PLease Help!!!

My wife and I bought a home 1.5 years ago. It has a well depth of 403 ft. and yields 2 GPM. I have no idea what size pump is used. The pressure tank is a Sta-Rite Signature 2000 SR20-6S. It is a 20 gallon tank and has a drawdown of 5.9 gallons at a 30/50 setting. We've had decent pressure and volume until recently. I was checking the well and pressure tank out and noticed the tank was waterlogged. I thought the air cell in it might be bad, but I put 28 lbs. of air in it and it's been holding fine. After the proper air/water volume adjustments had been made our pressure and volume are lousy. We have lived in a city setting most of our lives, so we were used to constant pressure/volume. I thought maybe that's just the way wells work, but it can be this bad. There's a faucet between the house and the well. If I turn it on there's constant pressure and volume and the switch kicks on/off as it should. Here's the kicker! When we bought the house we soon found out the water was a problem. The PH was 5.8 and had an average of 3 ppm iron. The iron fluctuates with rainfall and water useage. To combat this we had Rainsoft to install a chem feed system. When the water leaves the well/pressure tank it goes to a 120 gallon retention tank, then through a Hysulex filter, then through a water softener and finally through a large wholehouse filter. Along the way it's treated with alum for the iron and caustic and bleach for the PH and any bacteria that may be present. After I discovered the waterlogged tank, I decided to start running the pressure a little higher because I was told by Rainsoft it will keep the units we have cleaner. Well, I raised the pressure switch to 40/60 and put 38 lbs. of air in the pressure tank. We have plenty of pressure when first using water, but it drops very rapidly. At first I thought it might be a pressure tank supply problem, but when I'm using alot of water (washer fill ups) the pressure gauge hardly drops, maybe 10 lbs. every 5 minutes or so. But, when I'm using water from the faucet that's between the house and well (not filtered in any way) I have wicked pressure and volume with no noticeable drop in either as the pump kicks on/off. I'm beginning to wonder if a change in pressure may have stirred up some oron clots in the treatment system and is causing blockage somewhere along the way. I have even bypassed the Hysulex and softener and noticed an increase in pressure and volume. The owner of the house spent plenty of money on the place and how it's setup. I'm sure he had the correct well pump and pressure tank installed for the application at hand. It does seem a little small, but I assumed it was sized for the well and pump. Any info would be appreciated as to what I should check next.

Old 12-08-06, 04:15 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Do you have bypass valves on any or all of the filters and treatment tanks? Turn them to bypass. I think one or all of your devices are clogged. A partial clog on all of them will add up to low volume problems.The you can try turn the filter back into the system one at a time and see which one is the problem.

Old 12-08-06, 05:58 PM
S
Thanks for the reply. The Hysulex (a large carbon filter) and the softener both have bypass valves. I have noticed very clean water with more pressure when bypassing them. When I return the valves to normal the pressure drops and gets cloudy with iron for a bit. I know there is going to be some drop in pressure in those units, but shouldn't be that much. I'm also trying to look one step back. Before either of those units is a 120 gallon retention tank where all the settling and chemical reaction takes place. The water goes straight from the well to the tank and there may be some buildup in the line entering the tank, because the pressure has dropped in the tank. I flush the iron out 2-3 times per week on average and it just doesn't blow it out as quickly as before. On the other hand, the pressure right before the retention tank is great with alot of volume as well. I was running the water through a small wholehouse filter before it entered the retention tank, but it clogged fairly often and was slowing the overall pressure down, so I bypassed it. The Rainsoft people also recommended the same claiming the retention tank will catch any sediment allowing it to be flushed out instead of clogging filters. One more thing, since the weather here has dropped off considerably I'm sure that affects water pressure and volume, because water is more dense when colder and our retention tank is outside. I might eventually insulate and enclose it somehow, but for now it's under our front porch. Thanks again for anymore info. Later!

Old 12-10-06, 08:26 AM
S
Sometimes when a chemical feed system is installed there is a mixing valve at the injection point. the valve consists of a spiral insert in a pvc pipe. I have seen these build up with iron and restrict pressure. It sounds like you are on the right track looking back at the retention tank. If you have good pressure before it but poor after that's where you should start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: