Quieting well pump noise

Old 12-11-06, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quieting well pump noise

Our well head and pump are well away from the house, but we can hear the darn pump every time it comes on through the water pipe (copper). I uncovered the pipe inside and it doesn't seem to be secured to anything (joists, etc.) and you can feel the vibrations from the well pump at the storage tank. Any suggestions for quieting this thing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-06, 03:58 AM
B
Have you tried slipping on a length or two of pipe insulation. They make it to perfectly fit copper line and it is like a long tube of jacketed rubber foam with a split so it can be retrofitted. It should serve to dampen that sound...much the same as a drummer quieting his cymbal by applying pressure with his thumb and index finger to stop it from resonating.

Hope it works

bs5

Old 12-13-06, 04:54 AM
We do have some insulation to fit that pipe. Should we attach a vibration clamp or would that help at all?

Old 12-13-06, 08:29 AM
B
I have the same problem and have attached foam isulation but it didn't work.
Sounds like someone is banging on the pipes every time the pump turns on and off. It sucks when someone is taking a shower or the washing machine is running. It always made some noise and then got worse then got quiet for a month or two but now it is worse than it's ever been.
Is there any alternative to quieting the noise or is it possible there could be an issue with the pump or pressure tank?

Old 12-13-06, 05:26 PM
V
Vey
-- banging on the pipes every time the pump turns on and off. --

Air would do that. So would a bad valve at the faucet. Just tossing some ideas in the air.

The insulation would only work if the pipe was physically moving and banging against something, and the insulation was put in the right place. It's cheap and worth a try, but only if you can actually see the pipe move and bang.

Old 12-13-06, 06:50 PM
My problem is not like someone hitting it. It sounds more like a loud "wrrrr" when the pump runs then when it shuts off "KULUNK!". As if the actual vibration of the wellhead pump is simply transferring down the line, even though it runs underground for 75 or so feet. I can't see it vibrating against anything in particular, but if I hold it tightly near the storage tank, it gets quieter.

Old 12-13-06, 07:22 PM
B
It's kind of like a couple of cub scouts who make up a set of walkie talkies from a couple empty orange juice cans connected by a tight string.......or like a piece of 3/4 hard copper pipe which connects the house to a pump.

Sound resonates and there has to be a break in that phone line for the noise to stop as the pump runs. You are going to have to get creative for this one. Something like cutting a short section of the copper pipe out and converting to something like pvc or even replumbing the supply line with some new runs of pvc or plastic plumbing in the crawl space.

I see when the plumbers installed a booster system for my neighbor, they actually connected a pump and pressure tank with some kind of large flexible heavy duty hose. I doubt that that set up transmitted very much noise from the pump.

bs5

Old 12-14-06, 06:22 AM
Bull - your answer makes sense but ooooh, scary. (Plumbing still eludes me a bit) Maybe I can ask our plumber when he helps us put in the rough plumbing for the new master bath....