Well Pressure Drop

Old 01-08-07, 06:06 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Well Pressure Drop

My well pressure is dropping off as the water runs. We noticed that over the last couple of weeks the pressure seemed lower. Then while running the faucet the pressure will drop to nothing (no water flow) and build back up until the pump cuts off. I have a 30-50 switch and it seems to be working correctly. I relieved the system pressure (drained the tank) and checked the tank pressure, it was a couple of pounds low, which I then set it at 28 PSI. It was fine at first, now after a couple of days it started doing it again. I watched the gauge and listened to the pump as it did this. The switch kicks on at 30 psi and the pump starts but the pressure drops down to maybe 15-20 psi (or lower) then the pump catches up and builds until the cut off at 50 psi.
We do have a water softner which was serviced less than a year ago. I also replaced the in-line check valve about a year ago. Could I have a bad pressure tank? I have no idea how old it is but it looks to be under 10 years old.

Old 01-12-07, 08:35 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Reading your post, I think you've given enough info to diagnose your problem:

"I relieved the system pressure (drained the tank) and checked the tank pressure, it was a couple of pounds low, which I then set it at 28 PSI. It was fine at first, now after a couple of days it started doing it again."

I think this indicates the rubber bladder in your pressure tank has a hole or leak and your losing your precharge pressure. Relieve the system pressure and see if the air pressure is now low again. I think you will find it is. If so, it's time to replace your diaphragm tank.

Old 01-12-07, 01:50 PM
M
Actually, the tank has been replaced. The problem was found to be a faulty pressure switch.

Old 01-12-07, 03:01 PM
A
Mccoymail is right. I replaced the tank and the switch...so far, so good!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: