Where to send sump discharge??

Old 01-25-07, 04:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to send sump discharge??

Since I re-routed the discharge to the front lawn, I need to create a reasonable route to either the sidewalk, driveway or street. I have about 30 feet of lawn between the pipe outside and the sidewalk. Then I have the sidewalk and about 8 feet between that and the road.

If I want to direct the water to a place that would not ruin/flood my lawn, what would you recommend, and how would I go about doint it?

I was thinking about putting some pvc pipe under the ground to the sidewalk, but that does not seem like a great idea.

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Old 01-25-07, 04:33 PM
The previous owner of our house ran it to the sidewalk and it's ok but in the winter it freezes. One day I'm going to tunnel under the walk and run it into the street like a sane person.

Do it right the 1st time and you'll love it.

Old 01-25-07, 09:21 PM
M
If I choose to tunnel it under the sidewalk and to the street, would I have to drill a hole or something into the curb so it drains into the street?

If so, how do I go about getting a hole in the curb?

Also, how difficult is is to tunnel some tubing under the sidewalk?

Old 01-26-07, 06:21 AM
At the curb you would have to saw cut it, lay the pipe so it's flush with the edge of the curb and then reform and pour concrete.

It's easiest to get it under the side walk by busting one square of the sidewalk and digging then pouring new concrete. But if that's not an option then it's kind of back breaking digging.

When I re-do mine I will just bust up one square of the sidewalk and re-pour it.

Old 02-10-07, 11:28 AM
M
That sounds like a plan once it gets warmer. I am in the same boat right now with the cold and a lot of water on the sidewalk freezing and overflowinginto the street.

There are other houses on the block that have basements, but I do not see a sump discharge line going to the road. In those cases, what other options could they be doing to get the water out of their basement?

I am curious as to what the typical setup is and/or the easiest and cheapest.

If I busted up some cement, would I need to get a permit from the city, or how would that work?

Old 02-11-07, 05:43 AM
V
Vey
Bust up cement to run pipe under a sidewalk? Back breaking digging?

I have tunneled under sidewalks using some CPVC pipe with a jet nozzle on one end and garden hose on the other. Dig a hole on both sides of the sidewalk and tunnel between them. I think they even sell a little kit at HD sized for 3/4" pipe.

Old 02-11-07, 06:10 AM
V
Vey
Originally Posted by mrkris82

There are other houses on the block that have basements, but I do not see a sump discharge line going to the road. In those cases, what other options could they be doing to get the water out of their basement?
I know this is a crazy idea, but one Saturday, why don't you just walk up to the front door, knock on it, introduce yourself and ask them? They may even let you in and show what they are doing with the water.

Old 02-21-07, 10:02 AM
M
Originally Posted by Vey
Bust up cement to run pipe under a sidewalk? Back breaking digging?

I have tunneled under sidewalks using some CPVC pipe with a jet nozzle on one end and garden hose on the other. Dig a hole on both sides of the sidewalk and tunnel between them. I think they even sell a little kit at HD sized for 3/4" pipe.
After I get it tunneled under the walk, I would still need to cut some curb, correct?

I asked a co-worker where their water goes, and they have both said their back yards. I am not sure if the water just sits in the yard or is is tunneled under the ground. If it is setup this way, wouldnt the sump water just go back into the ground and back into the sump hole?

Old 02-21-07, 11:01 AM
V
Vey
--cut some curb, correct?--

You can rent a saw to cut the curb a little. Some cities take a dim view of this, others don't care.

added later:
I got to thinking about this, googled "Concrete saw blades" and found that 7" blades are available for the smaller circular saws we have at home. A blade costs ~$35.

I would make several slices close together, then chip out a notch. Place pipe in notch, then slather mortar around the pipe. Try to take out as little as possible, so that you don't have to work hard putting it back.

The only problem I see with tunneling underneath is if the curb is the same height as the sidewalk. If they are the same height, or the sidewalk is particularly thick, then the pipe would have to come up to meet the curb and that won't work for a drain unless the pipe is under pressure all the way out.

Still, cutting a notch in the sidewalk I think is less work than busting up a piece with a sledge.

--I asked a co-worker where their water goes--

Soil porosity can vary greatly from place-to-place even in the same city. Your neighbors are the best people to ask.

Last edited by Vey; 02-22-07 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-05-07, 11:44 AM
S
Can you cut through curb with a hand-held Skil Saw? I have always thought you would need a water-cooled diamond blade and one of those big machines on wheels.

I put a drain through the curb by using a carbide-tipped concrete drill bit and electric drill to drill holes in the curb in a circle shape, then used a rock-bit and hammer to bang away at the concrete. It took me quite some time, with a big hammer and some sore knuckles (leather glove helped).

After using a little cement to round and finish the holes, the drains look good and are working nicely.

I found this thread after looking for ways to water-jet a tunnel under a sidewalk. I just finished doing another job, spending a very long time with a post-hole digger, even breaking a sprinkler pipe in the process. I talked to a friend in the plumbing/electrical field, and he said next time I should just water jet under a sidewalk. Do stores have such devices, or do I need to cobble-together something on my own?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: