sumpwatcher

Old 02-09-07, 07:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sumpwatcher

I am thinking about buying a Sumpwatcher for my basement sewage pump. Does anyone know if these switches work well??? It is a 1/3 HP pump. This product looks like just the thing I need.
I am limited in space for other float switches. My pump turns on and off a lot when the stool is flushed. When it pumps for the shower or washing machine it works fine.

Old 02-10-07, 05:05 PM
P
I haven't had any personal experience with these type of switchs but after reading the installation manual the thing I would be worried about is they say it cannot touch anything in the pit (pump,pipe, pit walls etc.) The guy that owns our company has been in the sump pump biz since 1958 and he won't touch them!!

Old 02-11-07, 04:42 AM
B
sump watcher

I have used the sump watcher for a couple months, no issues so far. Long term reliability is a question, but then, switch failure on the pumps has been the problem with my sump pump all along. The sump watcher is very easy to replace vs the switch on most pumps with vertical switches, which I used because of a narrow pit. It just hangs in the pit, no real problem with touching anything else, mine is within 2 inches of the wall, and works fine. No offense intended to pumpguy but if I owned a company in the pump biz, the sump watcher would not be a product that I would want to see on the market, as it may cut down on replacement pump sales? Just my opinion.

Old 02-11-07, 04:10 PM
P
In all those years they have seen all types of switchs and tested most of them. While we have not tested the sumpwatcher itself we have tested other switchs like it and not with good results.We are always looking for a better mousetrap and are always testing new products. I'm glad yours is working well and hope it keeps working. It seems to be a switch problem most of the time when the pump fails. We use mostly SJE Rhombus products as they have proved the most reliable over the years.

Old 02-11-07, 04:19 PM
B
Pumpguy-I will keep you updated on how this sump watcher switch performs. One thing is for sure, if someone comes up with a more durable switch, I will be first in line to purchase one of them. I have purchased a Master vertical float switch which I believe is made by SJE Rhombus, but with my new battery backup float switch, I cant seem to get the longer on/off cycle to match up. Jimbo, you may want to check into that also.

Old 02-13-07, 07:19 AM
C
IMHO - the SJE Rhombus vertical master is one of the most reliable mechanical vertical floats available. It is ideal in a narrow pit and has an on-off range of nearly 6 inches. It also has a useful life of at least half a million cycles and can easily be swapped out without removing the pump.

The only precaution is making sure the mechanism is kept free of "gunk" that can interfere with the ability of the float bulb to slide up and down the narrow shaft, particularly in the top most region near the point where the shaft connects to the fatter plastic section of the bottom on the switch mechanism.

Old 02-13-07, 04:53 PM
P
The newer vertical master switchs have a micro switch inside instead of the contact points the old version had. This makes it less prone to vibration problems the older switchs had. The run amps is only 10 though as the older switch was 13 so you have to watch that.

Old 02-14-07, 08:03 AM
C
Originally Posted by pumpguy View Post
The newer vertical master switchs have a micro switch inside instead of the contact points the old version had. This makes it less prone to vibration problems the older switchs had. The run amps is only 10 though as the older switch was 13 so you have to watch that.
Interesting....was not aware of the reduction on the amp spec. Did you find this on the units themselves or is there anything on their website/catalog page? Only reference I can find so far is still showing 13.

Old 02-14-07, 12:28 PM
P
It's on the tag thats on the switch cord. This is the VM11 model(10VM111WP) I'm sure the regular VM is still available but we have been buying the newer version.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: