Septic Tank - Needs new baffle T?

Old 02-15-07, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Septic Tank - Needs new baffle T?

Had septic tank pumped today. Co. who did it says the "baffle T" is laying inside the tank; a new 1 has to be installed. 2 questions..what is a baffle T in a septic tank & how difficult is it to replace? As u guessed I am not a plumber!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-07, 02:11 PM
Wink

Is the tank steel or cement???? Did they say they could fix it???? Did they mean the baffle that keep the stuff in the tank and lets the water out in the field ??? That would be like a T

Old 02-15-07, 02:12 PM
The tank is cement. Yes it is the thing that keeps the stuff in the tank and lets the liquid out to the leeching field.

Last edited by lauramar; 02-15-07 at 02:26 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 02-15-07, 02:14 PM
They said they could fix it for a huge amount of money, at least for us.($1700.00)

Old 02-15-07, 03:25 PM
Wink

Cant you pull the lid and put it back for $1700. I know it a
S**t job but $1700 is $1700.

Old 02-15-07, 04:41 PM
Yes it seems it is a sh%$#$% job! but unfortunately I wasn't home when it was cleaned. Don't know how big this lid actually is; will I need a backhoe to move it? Or can a couple of guys lift it. In My last house, the lid was pretty small where 2 guys could pick it up. I guess I'll have to dig up the lid here and check the size 1st. Also how the heck do these things "fall off" in the 1st place? If I do get the lid off, does this baffle T just slide right back on? Or does it entail any pipe fitting or soldering or junk like that? I have no idea even what this baffle t thing looks like!

Old 02-15-07, 05:07 PM
Wink

You have to dig to find out what you have there. Should slip back in there. id get to it right awayIf you can . Hard stuff can start going into the drain field and the water is low if they just pumped it.

Old 02-15-07, 05:39 PM
Ok, understood. I have tomorrow off so I guess I will spend it digging to find out exactly what I have here.

Old 02-15-07, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
lauramar,

If you have to enter the tank or stick your head into it extreme caution must be used.
The environment inside of the tank might not just smell bad but could be toxic.
There is a high possibility of insufficent oxygen or toxic fumes.
Be carefull.

Old 02-16-07, 04:57 AM
GregH is exactly right with his warning....a septic tank is considered a permit-required confined space in the industry and one should never enter a c/space unless trained to do so and a trained attendant should be stationed outside of the space maintaining constant communication with the entrant. You can be overcome by fumes/lack of oxygen before you even realize a problem is developing.

Old 02-26-07, 08:19 PM
Hi All
Not to worry.I never went in that tank. Instead I shopped around and found a reputable guy who is doing it tomorrow for $350.00. He said it would take about 1 hour. He also said I should report the crew that quoted me the $1700.00 price. Thank you all for the advice; glad I asked about this whole thing!