can this work safely

Old 02-22-07, 01:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can this work safely

Hello again. I have purchased a half hp pool pump to be used to pump water from my cestern up to the roof tank. This pump is a Sta Rite Max E Pro. This pump is most likely over kill, but it is already packed away for our trip to Mexico.

My question is this, the inlet and outlet is 2" diameter. Would it be okay to reduce both inlet and outlet to 1" so that I could connect this pump to the present 1" pipe. What do you think will happen at 1". Thanks again. Joe

Old 02-22-07, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I wonder If that pump has the psi to pump the water that high to your tank. I know all my pool pumps I have had where 1 Hp to pump up on the roof to the solar cells.
Then how deep is the cestern ???? will that pool pump lift the water from the bottom of it???. Dont cut the size of the pipe down

Old 02-22-07, 01:52 PM
D
will it work

Thanks. The cestern will have only a 5 foot pipe from top to bottom inside. It will need to pump up to 30 feet to roof. The graph indicates 70 gallons per min.
I see that you stated not to reduce the inlet and outlet but, what happens if I do reduce to 1" Can it still work Joe

Old 02-23-07, 07:58 AM
P
Pool pumps are really just straight centrifugal pumps. They're designed to pump alot of water at lower pressures. Most pool pumps I've worked on pump in the 25 psi range, although they will go higher.
You stated that the chart says the pump will pump 70 gpm at 30 ft./hd.
30 ft./hd. is about 13 psi. Reducing the suction line will, of course, lower the capacity. Reducing the discharge will create more friction losses, meaning you'll have less psi at the roof tank.
I'm assuming that the pump just fills the tank, so low pressure really won't affect that. The pump will probably just take longer to fill the tank.
A jet pump with a 1.25" suction and a 1" discharge would probably have worked a little better.
Ron

Old 02-24-07, 02:12 AM
D
will this work

Thank you. I was just concerned that the pump or pipes would burst. Also, the pump just fills the tank so, the time and pressure are not important. when i do this install, i will report back. thank you. joe

Old 04-22-07, 07:24 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Reducing the suction

Pool pumps, especially 2" pool pumps, are designed to move allot of water.

Restricting the suction to 1" can put heavy loads o the suction of the pump and also cause cavitation. This will GREATLY reduce the life of the pump. Not dangerous, just expensive when the pump fails.

I NEVER recommend reducing the suction of a pump. It is just asking for trouble. The discharge side is fine to reduce however.

If you choose to reduce the suction side then listen to the pump. If it is cavatating (starving) it will make noise. Allot of noise. A vibrating, buzzing noise that sometimes sounds like the pump is pumping gravel. This noise is usually louder than the motor noise. (pool pumps should never be louder than their motors)
If this is occurring the pump is starving and needs a larger suction line or it will be damaged.

Hope that helps.

The Pump Guru
www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.net

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-22-07 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Personal web site not allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: