Redigging drain field

Old 03-16-07, 08:05 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Redigging drain field

Hello,

I'm having issues with my septic system, the guy says that the drain field is clogged with solids and needs to be rebuilt which means digging up much of my back yard. I'm curious what all this will intail and what to expect.
I don't mind them digging up my yard as I'm planing to make several garden areas (rose bed, rain garden, flower beds, etc) over time.

Can anyone give me an information or links to information that detail what will be done. I can only seem to find ones that explain how it works. I have GA red clay soil if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-16-07, 09:47 AM
V
Vey
Originally Posted by LoriB View Post
Hello,

Can anyone give me an information or links to information that detail what will be done. I can only seem to find ones that explain how it works. I have GA red clay soil if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
Different places do things differently and it has a lot to do with how the soil "percs" (percolates). I'll tell you how they did mine:
1. The new drainfield was huge. Much bigger than the old one. The trend is to make them bigger and bigger to give the water more of a place to go. I got the smallest one they allow (2/1 with 2 people living in it) and I think it covered 800 sq feet.
2. They dug 2 long ditches about 10 feet apart and about 4-5 feet deep. Used a backhoe. Then they lined the bottom and came up the sides with landscaping cloth. Put in some gravel. Put in 4" perforated pipe" More gravel until the pipe was covered. Pulled the cloth over the top of the gravel and used some nylon string with really big "sewing" needle and stitched the cloth together at the top.
4. Put in a box to separate the lines and piped the box to the tank.
3. Filled in the ditch and they were done.

You can ask at the local health department how they do them there because the "septic tanK" division or man (has various names) of the health department tells the contractors how they want things done, not vice versa.

Old 03-16-07, 12:58 PM
L
Great, this gives me a much clearer idea of what to expect. Thank you I appreciate your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: