Water in my crawl space

Old 03-20-07, 08:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in my crawl space

I have a gravel crawlspace. I can sense a lot of moisture in my crawl.

Ever since November I have had a lot of standing water in my backyard, i'm not sure if its related, but I called the city to see if they could help. My lot is much lower than my neighbors.

My question is I want to verify that my sump pump is working to its fullest. Can somebody explain how the sump basin gets filled? Are the drain hoses in my crawl space or are they on the outside of the house?

My house was built in 85, is it possible that these drain lines have become clogged and are not draining correctly? if so how can I verify this?

My crawl space has gravel, and if i remove the top layer (3inches worth) I see a plastic liner then the soil. On top of the plastic liner is free standing water.

What else can I do to get this problem under control? I have two vents, that are open but not much flow is going on. Should I put a few box fans down there, or a dehumidifier until things get under control?

Thanks!

Last edited by mnestroy; 03-20-07 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Addition Information
Old 03-20-07, 09:43 AM
V
I feel your pain. I had the same problem 2 years ago.

Your sump pump should be getting water from holes in the circular pipe drilled into it. Water will slowly seep in and fill the pipe then get pumped out. Verify that your sump is working, usually there is a float switch (when water reaches a certain level it triggers the switch on) then the water pumps out. Pull the chain up.

if it's not working, you'll need to service the pump.

Your pump hopefully is located at the lowest point in your crawl space.
Does the plastic on your crawlspace floor divert/flow water to the sump?

When the house is dry in the summer, I'd consider calling a soil engineer/drainage company to have a look at your place.
You may consider installing a French Drain (I did and my crawl space is dry- well damp in winter). but no standing water now...

The idea is to prevent water from getting in there in the first place to avoid damage to the foundation.
Good luck

I hate crawl spaces!

Old 03-20-07, 10:32 AM
M
The sump pump is definately working, thats the problem the thing kicks off like every 20minutes and drains water... my concern is how do i know the tubing that runs to the sump is not clogged? (and not letting 100% of the water in, and in return not draining fast enough) how deep is that hose?

I've tried showing a garden hose in it before from the exposed end in the sump basin, but it make a sharp turn and i wasnt able to feed much further...

Old 03-20-07, 01:14 PM
V
If you have a lot of water (like it sounds you do)
it WILL kick on say every 20 minutes. since it takes time for water to seep through the ground to fill the sump pit.

If they installed it right, the sump should discharge to a pipe that hopefully goes out to the street...
you'll need to make sure the discharge is going somewhere downhill and away from the house.

Sometimes people tie it into a rain gutter downspout that should also hopefully get routed to the street...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: