Question About Sump....

Old 04-02-07, 08:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question About Sump....

Hello,
In my basement I have a shallow sump. Note: I replaced the sump pump (pedestal) when I bought the house 3 years ago. I live in the North East (MA) so spring is coming. In the sump are (3) pipes that appear to drain into the hole. Now that the ground has begun to thaw and the rain has been off and on, the sump pump is consistently running. I have extended my discharge pipe using 20 feet of flex hose so that the water goes to my back yard. When the rain stopped over the weekend, the sump went dry. Now its raining again the sump pump is going again.
Now in the (3) years that I have lived here I never noticed this during the winter to spring transition. So here are my questions:

1) Are the pipes running into the sump there to handle excess water? Three of my down spouts are running into pipes in the ground (assuming a drainage system of sorts).

2) Is the excess water due to the fact that the ground has not fully thawed and any water is finding a quick path to the sump?

3) Could it be that my drainage, if any, is failing?

I do not have water anywhere in the basement at the moment, nor did I ever have since I owned the house.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 01:35 PM
F
Sounds to me like the situation is fairly normal with nothing to be alarmed about. Maybe any difference you are noticing is due to a different freeze/thaw/rain history than in years past. If I were you, I'd just keep an eye on things for the time being.

Old 04-04-07, 07:26 PM
B
Thanks for the response.

I called my city's wastewater dept. today and asked them to take a look at the sewer line in the street. Sure enough, it had a clog in the main line. Once they blew out the clog my sump went dry. Problem solved.

Now this happened two years ago and I almost paid a plumber huge dollars to open up pipes in the house. He suggested that I call the city to come take a look at the line. That is once he opened the man hole cover and realized that there was a clog.