Pump not drawing right?

Old 04-11-07, 09:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump not drawing right?

We just installed a new water pump about two weeks ago. The problem is that are getting air in the lines and pump sometimes will not shut off. After watching the pressure gauge for a few minutes, I notice that the pump doesn't seem to be drawing water from the well. (We have a "shallow well" setup that goes down somewhere around 35 ft or so.)

I can't find any leaks. Water is in the pump and the pressure tank, but no new water seems to be getting in.

Old 04-11-07, 11:01 PM
P
How far below the pump is the water level? A jetpump in shallow well configuration will only lift water from about 25'. Anymore than that and the pump will have trouble getting water up.
Otherwise, it sounds like you have a leak on the suction side of the pump.
Ron

Old 04-12-07, 06:19 AM
T
I'm not sure how far down the water level is. I do know that we have a real high water table in our area. (Central Delaware).

The weird thing is that if I turn the pump off for 20 minutes or so, the pump does manage to draw water in and come up to pressure. When it shuts off, I hear a gurgling sound. I can't tell if the gurgle is from the pump, the pipes going to the well, or the pressure tank.

The really bad part is that we don't know where the actual well is located. The documentation we have with the house doesn't say much about the actual depth or location.

Old 04-12-07, 07:37 AM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Gurggling sound is not good. That means you water flowing. When your pump shuts off there should be no water flowing unless you have a faucet open. The leak could be in the water line to the well or in the drop line down the well. You need to find the well and check the lines.

Old 04-12-07, 07:48 AM
V
Vey
Anticipating the next question:
There are metal detectors that can be rented. Some can detect metal pipes 8 feet deep.

Or, if you are feeling lucky, you can make a couple of divining rods from solid copper wire. I thought people that used those were nutz until I tried them. If the rods don't work, what are you out? Don't tell anyone you tried it and you aren't even out embarrassment. That was my thinking when I tried them.

Old 04-12-07, 03:20 PM
T
A metal detector would not work in our case as the pipe going from the pump out to the well is black plastic.

I saw somewhere that someone was having a similar problem and replaced the pressure tank. Our tank is about 10-years old and has one of the air diaphrams in it that is probably really water logged.

Old 04-12-07, 04:51 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Waterlogged tank has the symptom of pump starting and stopping rapidly while water is being used. Your symptoms are not indicating a waterlogged tank.

Old 04-12-07, 05:39 PM
Wink

You never did say just how far down the water level is for sure. Or can it pump the well dry???

Old 04-12-07, 09:59 PM
T
Right now, with all of the rain we've had, the water table is probably 1 foot below the ground level. The pump sits on a pedastle about 2 ft tall.

I replaced the pressure tank this evening. (That was fun.) Once I got the air bled out of the system, the pump seems able to draw the water in, fill the tank backup, and shut down.

I'll know if it is a closed case tomorrow morning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: