Adding Additional Dry Wells & What to do with old?

Old 05-11-07, 06:48 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding Additional Dry Wells & What to do with old?

Hello All,

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I need to install three dry wells, extending from the current 2 drywells that refuse to drain.

The Department of Health inspector came out and gave me a permit to install the three well system, with an alternating valve to switch between drywells on a yearly basis. He is aware that I am doing the work myself.

I have a handle on the actual construction and code requirements, and am having 12 yards of drainage gravel, the drywell rings, and an excavator delivered next week.

Here's a decription of the septic system as it stands now:

--- Septic Tank: 1000 gallons, top of tank is 24" below grade. Is in sound condition and operates as it should.
--- 1st Drywell Undetermined size, probably block construcion, 30" below grade. Problem: It holds water, and is currently full.
--- 2nd Drywell. Undetermined size. 4'6" below grade. Was installed w/ out permit by previous homeowner. Probably block construction. Problem: It holds water, is currently full, and is too deep for me to be able to add additional dry wells and stay within the maximum 5' depth required by Health Department codes.

My biggest concern is what to do about that 2nd drywell. I can hook into the first drywell and run the pipe over the top of the second, thus bypassing the the 2nd dry well all together but that would require a length of pipe 15 or 20 feet long, is that a bit excessive?

What I would like to do is dig out the 2nd drywell and a couple extra feet of earth, then fill in the bottom of the hole with sand up to a more appropriate depth, and install the new drywell ring and stone in the old drywell's place.

If a go that route, can I just dig out the blocks, and let the water percolate into the soil? I realize that's what is supposed to be happening now any way, but it seems to be an awfull lot of waste water letting go at once. We are all using well water around here and I don't want to be the guy that wrecks the water supply for me and my neighbors.

Any help and comments are very appreciated.

Thanks-
Scott the Wood Butcher

Old 05-11-07, 07:08 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Health Dept. inspector should have explained what is required to meet codes. Work will require permit and inspection.

Old 05-11-07, 07:21 PM
W
The health inspector has already issued my permit, final inspection will be done be fore I cover the system with soil. I have the code requirements in my hand.

At the time of the permit inspection, he and I assumed I would be able to simply hook into the last drywell in the system, but I don't see how thats possible, given the current depth of the 2nd dry well. Neither one of us realized that the second dry well was installed so deeply.

Any concerns with just knocking the whole thing in?

Old 05-11-07, 07:27 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't know what the inspectors are like where you live, but they are really strict here. I am in Rotary with the head of the Health Dept. The woman is stricter than I, and that's awesomely strict. I wouldn't make a move without talking to the inspector. I know it all sounds like a pain, but you want a system that will work for you trouble free for many years. You need to get everything up to snuff and approved so that you can sleep at night after you flush the toilet.

Old 05-11-07, 07:49 PM
V
Vey
I would go back and ask the inspector. It sounds as though you live in a place where people are reasonable and so it shouldn't be a problem. Just tell him what you found. He knows that once things are dug up, surprises are sometimes found.

I would propose to him a new plan, coming off the first well to two other wells. That probably means stretching a pipe over the old second well, but so what? Fifteen - twenty feet is not bad as long as you have enough fall, it should work fine. But you will have to go pretty deep with the new wells.

Bounce the new plan off of him and see what happens. What do you have to lose? Dig your toe in th ground a little. You don't want to spend 12 hours with the spade only to flunk the final.

Old 05-11-07, 08:29 PM
W
Talking

Twelvepole and Vey-

I must be be thinking way to hard for that simple piece of advice to allude me. Seriously.

And yes, Vey, your right. The inspector is a reasonsble guy, and on top of that, on his initial visit was very helpfull. Dunno why I didn't just think to ask him myself. Sheesh.

Thanks fellas/gals

Last edited by twelvepole; 05-12-07 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Off topic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: