water in basement...sump pump??

Old 05-11-07, 07:16 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water in basement...sump pump??

Hello. First I should say we dont have a sump pump. A few days ago we noticed some wet spots on our carpet in the basement(in the hall,not near an outside wall) and now there is a continuous wet spot about 5 ft. x 5 ft.We took the top off the hole in our storage rom where a sump pump could be installed. The water in there wont stop rising,we are constantly bailing,I understand if and when we install a sump pump it will take care of the water in the hole but Im wondering about the area in the rec room,could this water be coming through the cement floor and the pump will also stop the water problem there? We have been in this house for 5 years and never had water problems,it hasnt even rained much.Thanks so much.

Old 05-11-07, 09:38 AM
C
In general, yes a sump pump system will help to remove water around your entire foundation area. Effectiveness depends on how well your drainage system was installed and whether water around your foundation has an "easy" path to the sump pit.

If in ground moisture is allowed to persist around your foundation, it can definitely find its way through your foundation.

Old 05-11-07, 02:21 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you have never had a problem in five years and there hasn't been much rain I would suspect a broken water line.

Assuming that you are on a municipal water system I want you to turn off all water inside the house, not the shutoff valves for the toilets and faucets, just don't be using any water and that includes dishwashers, clothes washers and any lawn sprinklers or drip irrigation systems.

Then I want you to go find your water meter and look at it closely. There should not be anything moving under the dial face. No numbers, no hands, no triangles, no winking eyes, nothing. If there IS something moving and you did shut off all water usage you have a leak somewhere.

You will need to get it fixed because it will only get worse and it could erode all the soil from under your house.

Old 05-11-07, 03:27 PM
V
Vey
I'm with Furd on this. Look for another source before you even think about spending any money on a sump, and sump pump. Back in the olden days, almost nobody had sump pumps. They didn't need them (like you).

But starting in the late '60's, high and dry land began getting a bit scarce, so it became the norm for the developers to start building on low land. Somehow, everybody became convinced that they should have a basement, just like the people on high and dry land, so the answer was (aha!) a sump and then later a pump.

If my father was looking to buy a house and saw a basement with a sump pump in it, or an elevated septic tank drain field, he would turn it down flat. People tried to tell him that he was "old fashioned" and that technology would solve everything.

Sure it did.

My point is that sump pumps are not "normal." Even though people have them, don't get the idea that they are.

While you are trying to find the source of the water, if you get tired of bailing, you can get a cheap little hand pump with a pump bulb for $3 or if you must a $20-40 electric pump at one of the big box stores.

But don't rely on the pump. I urge you to look further to find the source.

Old 05-11-07, 04:18 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Sump pumps are in fact normal. If you don't have property where you can daylight drain the foundation weeping tile you must have a sump pump. You need to get the water out of there somehow.

Old 05-11-07, 06:11 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I live about half-way down a hill. I don't have a sump pump. Quite honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a house with a sump pump although I have read many stories about people that do have them.

I do have perimeter foundation drains and drains from the gutters that run into a storm drain system. I also have a storm water pumping station right in front of my house. It must be important because the city checks it on a weekly basis and it has a propane-fueled generator in case the power goes out.

I can't say that I would never live in a home that had a sump pump but it would have to be one heck of a house at a real steal of a price.

Old 05-11-07, 07:03 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I lived in a house in a previous life where there was a sump pump. No basement moisture issues. The only time it ran was when I did the laundry. That's where the washer was drained.

Broken water line is a possibility. Rising water table is another.

If all gutters, downspouts are clear and soil graded to carry water away from home is good. No splash guards and water from downspouts are drained, then this is good. All should be good, especially if you have not had recent heavy rains. So, it is likely water line.

My concern is mold and mildew. Get any carpeting out of basement. Be ever vigilant for signs of mold and mildew. Get dehumidifiers in there and run fans. Dehumidifiers remove excess humidity and fans increase air circulation. Mold & mildew can occur within 24-48 hours.

If water level got up into walls, then you will have mold and mildew concealed in inconspicuous areas. These will need to be opened up to allow them to dry out. Once batt insulation has been wet, it tends to lose insulative powers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: