Pump runs but won't pump

Old 06-02-07, 11:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump runs but won't pump

I have a shallow well with an above ground Sears Convertible Jet model 390-25120. Yesterday we ran the well dry. Before when this has happened we have water in 2 to 24 hours.
I have turned the pump back on and it starts but does not pump. The tank is pressurized. The guage on the pump does not even flicker, it just sits at zero. A friend said I need to prime the pump, but the only access plug is on the side of the housing.
So, is loss of priming the problem and how do I fill it with the plug on the side?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-07, 01:43 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
yes, it sounds like you have lost prime. Either that or you don;t have any water in your well. The fact that you have lost water before makes me wonder which it is.

most pumps I have worked with actually have more than one plug. Some have had a plug on the impeller section of the pump, some have had a plug where the pipe turns down into the well.

The purpose of priming is simply to fill the draw tube and the pump with water since a pump of this design does not pump air.

If there are no plugs facing up, I would simply do one of two things;

1. try filling via a funnel or whatever in the plug you have. When full, put the plug in and turn the pump on.

2. if you find it impossible to fill in that fashion, go to the hardware store and buy an elbow so you can make the hole on top rather than on the side. then follow the same filling instructions.

Old 06-03-07, 03:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only thing I could do that I had tools for was to remove the gauge. When I did it let out a big whoosh. I added a bit of water and put the gauge back and let it sit. Awhile later the wife turned it on, away it went and the tank was full in about 3 minutes.
Oh the joys of running water!