Pump will not shut off

Old 06-18-07, 05:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pump will not shut off

I have a pump in a crawl space that brings water from the lake into my cottage. It is a Goulds Balanced Flow. The problem is it does not shut off.
I need more information and direction on how to fix the problem.
First when I ran the water there seemed to be air in the line (spitting from the faucet). On the side of the pump there is a small copper tube. I think this is part of the pressure switch but I am not sure. I removed the tube and found the fittings (nuts) were loose, one end had a small rubber washer and the other end had nothing. I put a ferrell on each end and now the water flow is smooth. The pump still does not stop running.

Any ideas?
Is the pressure switch the silver thing and the side of the pump?
I have tried to find a Goulds manual but have had no luck.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-19-07, 09:07 AM
If you can supply me with some more info, I'll try to help. A picture would be great.
Is the pump a new install or is this a new problem on existing install?
It does not take much to block the hole in pressure switch.
Is it an adjustable pressure switch? Factory preset or have you adjusted?

Old 06-19-07, 09:13 AM
need more info like type of pump and wat not...i just found this .. i dont know if it's any help cuz i dont have enough info

http://www.goulds.com/product.asp?ID=249&MASTERID=3

-trent

Old 06-19-07, 09:57 AM
B
I found this http://www.goulds.com/product.asp?ID=226&MASTERID=3 which looks just like my pump. Mine is a Balanced Flow J03857. It is at least 20 years old.
I looked at the manual and the tubing I referred to is part of the air volume control. Did I not reassemble it correctly? Pressure switch?

Old 06-19-07, 09:59 AM
if at all possible i would get ahold of a physical or even online manual and trace steps back. check out major points first such as pressure switch, etc.

if you need any more help finding anything ...

-trent

Old 06-19-07, 03:53 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Do yo have a pressure guage on the sytem? What is it indicating as the psi?
The pressure switch is the device mounted to the side of the motor where the power comes in.

Old 06-19-07, 06:44 PM
V
Vey
I think you should call a pro. Then when he is there, you be there too and "pump" him for all he is worth meaning ask him every question you can think of until he clams up because he gets tired of you. He will show you (hopefully) what is what.

Figure his cost is "tuition." There ain't no way we can give you lessons here. Then when things are working properly, **don't go in the house and forget about it!**

Study it during normal circumstances. Watch the gauge go up and down. Listen to the switch and the tank. Because next time (and there will be a next time) you will know how things are supposed to work and since it isn't that will give you valuable clues as to what is wrong.

There is no shame in calling in a pro. I grew up on wells and my Dad taught me plenty, but he also taught me when to call a pro.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: